Mapping and survey software suggestions... HELP!

I'll freely admit I'm losing the plot a bit here as I've been round in circles and tied myself in knots... hope you fine people can help out....

The background: I work at a large private school with a catalogue of about 400 trees on one site (there might be another in the works, but lets keep it simple.).

We have in the past had a full tree survey undertaken by local contractors at vast expense and had a paper map and survey book as a result.

The paper map/trace overlay is very tired and seriously impractical.

We would like to bring the mapping and basic survey criteria in house, hopefully saving money in the long run and meaning any need to bring in someone of consultant level for 'inspections' will be money spent on their knowledge and not their mapping ability...!

So ideally...

I am looking for a setup that is simple to operate, can be viewed easily on a PC and preferably have parts printed for reference.

Pre-done survey plugins and the like a big bonus.

I have no experience with any relevant software types and therefore anything easy to pick up and/or train others on would be good (I've found Autocad distressingly complicated!).

Hopefully there will be enough in the budget for a half decent gps and some software...

I have looked at:

Pear Technologies (the costs mount up quickly with software)

Digiterra

PocketGIS

Arbortrack

Arborsite

And am none the wiser!

The ability to map services accurately (gas/power runs etc) would be awesome as there have been some seriously expensive screw ups recently...

Sorry to waffle on, thanks in advance.

Toby.

I totally empathise with you Swoop.

Everyone claims their software is the best thing since sliced bread and that it's easy to use etc etc etc.

At the Arb Assoc Conf in Manchester one delegate said to me that it would be nice if there was a single piece of software that would do everything. There isn't! If there was it would be very expensive because it would be catering to all men and women.

Instead - like a toolbox there are certains items for certain tasks.

Task 1 Field Capture using Digiterra or Cartagoo record the details in the field to the level of accuracy required.

Task 2: Manage & Access and Share that information wiithin another piece of software - such as web based GIS or even Eye-TREE :blushing:. I mention Eye-TREE as I know it can access the SHP data files directly from Digiterra and plop them straight onto the map

I agree AutoCAD can be a complicated - extremely popwerful but nonetheless complicated beast. I know I am a certified AutoCAD Associate amongst other things :blushing:

Software should assist us in our day to day tasks not require us to undertake software manuals as bed time reading material.

There are solutions out there which do make life easier. It is just finding the right one for your requirements and which you feel comfortable with.

By identifying what you actually need you are well on the way to making the right decision.

Have you had had a look at the GIS mapping systems thread?

Regards

I

Have you had had a look at the GIS mapping systems thread?

Haha yes, and I think that's what got me in a pickle to start with, so much choice!

I like the fact digiterra is classed as idiot proof, that's a major plus!

Cos I'm an idiot!

Toby.

Sound like you you need something like ESRI ArcGIS. Get a map of school grounds maybe a geocorrected airphoto too. Plot your trees with GPS add them to the map. Add the survey data as metadata to each tree. You can quite easy get a services data layer and add that to the map too. Also add risk zones too.

ArcGIS is very powerful bit of softwear normally what county councils use. Its also very expensive and is prehaps much more complex and overly complicated for what you need. But i'm quite sure it would do the job extreamly well if you put all the data into it.

Sound like you you need something like ESRI ArcGIS. Get a map of school grounds maybe a geocorrected airphoto too. Plot your trees with GPS add them to the map. Add the survey data as metadata to each tree. You can quite easy get a services data layer and add that to the map too. Also add risk zones too.

ArcGIS is very powerful bit of softwear normally what county councils use. Its also very expensive and is prehaps much more complex and overly complicated for what you need. But i'm quite sure it would do the job extreamly well if you put all the data into it.

I think unfortunately that might be a little over budget... looks pimp though!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

T.

Ultimately the decision should be based on the right tool for the job. After all, if you need to take the family & the dog out + pushchair + toys + granny + + + all the usual gubbings for the day - you don't use a Bugati Veyron.

On the other hand you wouldn't want to attempt a lap record using a Citroen Picasso round the Nurburgring:laugh1: (Of course no disrespects to Citroen owners )