How much can a compact tractor tow?

ukminch

I can't find it on there, I can find the 3 point linkage weight. I was wondering if there will be a plate or anything that will tell me. And I know the rules can be different depending on how the trailer brakes work.

I've got a feeling it's probably only going to be 3/4 ton or so so not worth doing, just wondering if anyone knew roughly off the top of their head.

R

Just checked the manuals on two of our machines a kubota B2150 (25Hp) can tow 1500kg and our Kutota L3300 (33Hp) can tow 3000kg. It makes not mention of any type of braking system on the trailers.

Then it gets messy with the road regulations for unbraked trailers. Both these machines have been taxed for the road in the past as Agricultural Tractors and to be honest you wouldn't want to try and stop them with these kinds of loads on them in a hurry.

They might then come under the 750kg rule and also bearing in mind the "no more than 2/3 of the towing vehicle weight" which would very little.

I am sure someone will enlighten us further.

As someone else said, speak to the importer/manufacturer as often there is no plate regarding the towing weight.

Also, what it's rated t otow braked and what it is safe to use realistically are two different things - I know some of the bigger Carraros are plated to tow around 8 tonne braked but I wouldn't want to on anything other than flat road in the dry as that would be 4 times the weigth of the tractor.

Also, many compacts don't have a trailer brake attachment so you'd more than likely be on overrun brakes or running the trailer brakes through a spool and having them hand operated.