please help

markstuarttosdevine

for my personal woodstores i built a frame from 3x2 6ft high, 2ft deep and as long as the fence is.. old roofing slates on top (boards/tarps/shingles would do) so the drip line is way out from the wood. with a shelf halfway up so you get a good rotation, stack the split logs 2xdeep with the outer edge as straight as you can (well you have to view it as a garden feature now) with a space at one end for a builders trug full of kindling, my personal stores can hold 5tonne which doesnt last long on the open fire.. Ed.

i guess it would depend on how many logs you have to dry or season and how much space you have to do it in

we have a small patch of woodland - so season our logs naturally - totally exposed to the elements - especially the sweet chestnut (which is the bulk of our log wood) and we leave that for 3 or 4 years sometimes

we then collect them up and stack them during dry weather - then cover the tops with tin or tarp

we just build log walls on the outer - then just throw the rest in to infill - cover with tin or tarp - job done

we only have 5 acres or so - but it is plenty of space for having log stacks dotted all over

for woods that don't keep so well - like birch, laurel, sycamore etc - we keep in cord (stacked) for short season and cover when drying - then log (or sell off) as required

we have mostly s.chestnut - but because it has a tendency to spit (unless it is really old / from dead wood) we like to have the other stuff for people with open fires - and let the peeps with woodburners to have the chestnut

i do it with; 4 heras security panels, 4 x 4x4 posts, some 4x2 for roof trusses, an some second hand roof sheets, dont stack on the floor, use pallets, ill try an get a pic tomorow, all depends on location thou, mine works well as 3 sides get good sunlight plus a good breeze from across the fields, im sure there will be some other members along soon who use polytunnels etc, good luck with it

yeah they brothers a tree surgeon and i get the logs and am trying to make a little extra cash i basically was thinking of splitting them drying them and trying to sell them to customers but am trying to visulise a store to build at the weekend so they can dry resonably fast to be able to burn and sell

well as others are sure to confirm - certain woods need little seasoning - whilst other woods need a long time to season - so it is not quite so easy as just building something out of pallets (although i personally like pallet structures, as they keep wood off ground and air through sides etc)

do you know what woods you have by any chance?

so other members can stick their penny's worth in - you might just get a sensible answer then :001_smile:

As well as my normal day job I run a company that makes custom made log stores. Unfortunately Winchester is a little too far for me to travel to do you one but if you want an idea of what mine look like please follow this link:

Peak Outdoor and click on the Gallery section.

I can supply you a kit list for any of the sizes listed there so you can organise your own timber for the job, or if you want to, send over the size you'd like and I would be happy to create a kit list for you and send you some simple (ish) instructions for assembly.:thumbup1: