Meripilus on Oak...

czhey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, a few posters with some interest in this one!

Crown, well the meripilus is (yes its merip!) is into the roots for sure, and well into them, the tree is in terminal decline, though only through transport dysfunction in the short term, reduction may assist the tree but for me, in THIS instance its not worth the effort, IMO, sometimes you just have to admit defeat.

hen of the woods well it looks NOTHING like merip, if you have seen merip, youll know when it isnt! grifola is nowhere near as common as merip, not even on oak.

Little is scientificaly known about the effects of meripilus on Oak, but I found one last week that was windblown and fruiting merip heavily, and the darker (pathogenic suspect) form, as apposed to the suspected lighter saprobic form.

As for tim, and the beech. Well hang on, do you know what sylvatica means? and Oak is NOT a woodland tree, its natural home is the open structured pastureland, where it fairs much better, being a high light requiring species, thats why haloing has been perfected.

Beech on the other hand, well the name for a start! also prefers a little shade, though not too much, but it doesnt like full sun, not like the oak and the ash anyways.

:confused1: are you saying you'd remove it!? I'm worried now, never thought you'd say that!? :biggrin:

I'll be back monday and get some more pictures, try and have a chat with the customer.

Charlie

:confused1: are you saying you'd remove it!? I'm worried now, never thought you'd say that!? :biggrin:

I'll be back monday and get some more pictures, try and have a chat with the customer.

Charlie

On the basis of a picture that shows only a part of the crown...? I think not ( no disrespect Tony!)

:001_smile:

On the basis of a picture that shows only a part of the crown...? I think not ( no disrespect Tony!)

:001_smile:

if that tree is a robur, its a lot thinner than it should be, and with a known root decay fungi of meripilus caliber, the outcome is only going one way.

if its a turkey oak, which are thinner by nature (looking up)

maybe different.

as you say this is based on a phot though, but i'll have good money riding on a return photo this time next year showing an increase in its decline.:001_smile:

if that tree is a robur, its a lot thinner than it should be, and with a known root decay fungi of meripilus caliber, the outcome is only going one way.

if its a turkey oak, which are thinner by nature (looking up)

maybe different.

as you say this is based on a phot though, but i'll have good money riding on a return photo this time next year showing an increase in its decline.:001_smile:

Yes i think it's a Q. cerris actually, sorry no better pictures yet, back on next monday. It is thinner than that photo shows.

Not too sure what to say to the customer...

Thanks

Charlie.

If your not 100% confident, how do you expect the client to be?

Recomend that a consultant come in and do a report

im in herts, and going to kent saturday, would you like me to come see this on the way through?

I cant cover it with pro indemnity yet though, but give you a clearer idea of what to do, i dont need the time loss and will be pushed, but it can be done if you would feel happier.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

If your not 100% confident, how do you expect the client to be?

Recomend that a consultant come in and do a report

im in herts, and going to kent saturday, would you like me to come see this on the way through?

I cant cover it with pro indemnity yet though, but give you a clearer idea of what to do, i dont need the time loss and will be pushed, but it can be done if you would feel happier.

I will recommend a report but not sure they would like the cost...

Very kind offer, but don't see why you should go out your way to help.

Thanks for the offer though :001_smile:

Charlie.

Its always ging to be a tough call, trees shouldnt be felled just because they have a fruiting body, and asking the client to spend what may be a considerable amount to decide something they rely on you for is always going to be a bit of a rub.

You could however be completley honest, tell them this is a tough call reqiuring expert opinion and profesional indemnity insurance to cover the judgment and they will probably appreciate the honesty.

Or you can make the call, fell the non native and replace it, and take the work at a time when its thin on the ground

iether way, i would not have any reservations about those choices, its a big tree with a known root parasite and declining symptoms, its O.k to fell, its not replacing it that would reqiure a guilty mind.

The fell solution may have suprised you, but like everyone else in here I have to work within an accepted limit, and leaving trees stood with meripilus, currently might leave you in trouble should the worst happen, it would be a hard battle to win in court if you didnt fell it and it hurt somone.