Tree Tragedy

Andy Collins

Although these are unfortunate incidences, with a terrible outcome to all involved, hopefully they will act as a wake-up call to the authorities who seek to save money by cutting back the fundng for tree management. I was reading on UKTC that a local authority wishes to remove a Monkey Puzzle as the thorns may hurt the kiddies, perhaps concentrating on the issues of structural safety may be relevant.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1022010/Girl-13-killed-falling-tree.html

sadly i have had to deal with this tree today along with plenty more we have been very busy and have loads of privates to sort as well

Bob and all you guys and gals out there, whilst of course my heart and sympathies go out to the family, relatives and friends of the little girl, it seems that some need reminding NOT to destroy the evidence, when clearing up.

I know that it is obvious to most but with the tragic case of the bus/tree incident in London the tree was cut up and taken to the tip. Police etc are now trying to retrieve it from the land fill site. Investigations often need to recreate the tree and the failed part. It is fine and obviously necessary to cut the tree up to remove it but the sections and essentially the 'failed' parts should be stored for future investigation if necessary.

Colin

Along with many others, having children also, my heart goes out to the family at this tragic time.

I wish to back up the comments made by Colin.

I am a member of this site due to my part time interests in your field. I am by no means qualified or an expert on tree matters. However, i can comment on the usual response by the police.

When an incident like this occurs, local police officers will attend and create a scene, and log all details. This however is not like a car crash, where the police have the expertise on hand to expertly record the incident and obtain the evidence required. At an incident like this, like say a light aircraft crash, they will try and record visual evidence using photo's, and take witness statements, but they will have to defer matters further to relevant experts. This can often take a number of days to locate them and get them to start there investigation.

This is by no means the fault of the police officers at the scene as they basically will have no idea about what has occurred. They cannot be experts at everything. In this incident the officer will be saying "the tree snapped in the wind". They cannot comment further as to why.

Sorry to go on, but my basic point is that as Colin said, the evidence of the cause NEEDS to be retained.

IF YOU ARE CALLED TO REMOVE A TREE FROM A SERIOUS INCIDENT LIKE THIS. FIND THE SENIOR OFFICER AT THE SCENE AND POINT OUT POSSIBLE CAUSES AND IF YOU ARE ABLE, OFFER TO RETAIN RELEVANT PARTS OF THE TREE FOR FURTHER EXAMINATION.

I GUARANTEE THAT THE POLICE WILL THANK YOU AS THEY MOST LIKELY WILL NOT HAVE THOUGHT OF IT!!

the branch that caused injury was sealed in an evidence bag and most of the split parts were placed in the back of a police car and everything was photographed numerous times as to where relivent parts came from

the branch that caused injury was sealed in an evidence bag and most of the split parts were placed in the back of a police car and everything was photographed numerous times as to where relivent parts came from

That is good news for who ever might be instructed to represent either party. I understand that the London Bus case evidence is now under 25 to 30ft landfill in an as yet unknown site!!!!

Thank heavens for photographic evidence.

Colin :icon14:

Are there tree wardens around the area? Since tree wardens are voluntary the council could at least provide some training on inspecting trees for safety so the council can be better informed.

I've been clearing up windblown stuff all day today in various locations and each tree has failed in the same way as in this tragic accident.

Are there tree wardens around the area? Since tree wardens are voluntary the council could at least provide some training on inspecting trees for safety so the council can be better informed.

I've been clearing up windblown stuff all day today in various locations and each tree has failed in the same way as in this tragic accident.

we have been working all out since sunday we have had a lot of big trees as well as small ones several on houses and a few on cars and a lot to return to when the weather improves more than we expected for the wind conditions