How was the AA conference?

arb culture

Only went up by train for the monday, so can't comment on the the other two days.

Numbers appeared to be quite low, maybe 170ish, possibly they may have been expecting more.

Thought the presentation on the Olympic site by Phil Askew was pretty interesting in terms of how they see the site developing during & post games.

Had a good chat with him during the tea interval.

I found Schwartz's update on Trichoderma fascinating, not sure all in the audience did though.

Neville gave a brief but concise update on the NTSG position, and how it will be delivered.

Struggled to keep inspired by the guy from Ontario on Tree strategy & policy, though I'm sure this was due to being late in the afternoon, with the prospect of a train journey ahead of me.

Bought some books

Met up with Paul & Tony S & a few other aquaintances.

Glad I went.

Not sure I could of dealt with three days though.

Just got back after 4 days away and head still spinning!

It was the first time I have been to an AA conference. I made the mistake of going to too many of the seminars (bad for head) and drinking too many ales in the evening (even worse for head).

It was cool to listen to and rub shoulders with the big guns though.

I really enjoyed the presentation of the iTree software. This program appears to be able to kick out massive amounts of information about the urban forest. For example the amount of carbon sequestration, cooling effects of urban areas, savings in energy production.......it was really fascinating. The good bit is that having been developed in the US they are now looking for partnerships to get it up to speed for UK use.

I also enjoyed the talk on non-invasive decay detection which was mostly about the Picus and tree pulling tests.

I will add my twopenneth to Tony's intelligent summary when he gets round to starting it.