Getting Ready For LOLER

Axeman

I am marking my gear ready for LOLER. I am looking for a few tips to help me get it correct.

So far I’m printing personal numbers on paper then laminating them numbers then shrink tubing them to ropes and friction cords. Metal items I am engraving.

Each item have their own unique number example AB C 01, AB C 02 and so on AB initials, C climbing or R rigging and 01 02 etc for item number. Details of items and checks then recorded on its own page in excel then printed to carry with gear.

Questions:

1. I purchased a boating swivel to attach my micro pulley to my harness. I thought this would be ok to use as it will not be bearing weight just used to advance the friction knot. Would this be ok to use and would it have to be marked up for LOLER? see attachment.

2. Do Climbing spurs have to be marked up for LOLER?

3. Do karabiners used for tool clips have to be marked up for LOLER?

4. Do Port wraps for lowering have to be marked for LOLER?

Maybe a list of items to be marked up for LOLER might be of use to someone (myself included). If anyone could add to it I will start.

Climbing:

Harness

Ropes

Friction Cords

Karabiners

Pulleys

Rigging:

Ropes

Pulleys

Thanks in advance

swivel1.jpg.bfd2acc29ecd2e9c08f804f09a576cba.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would'nt bother marking friction cord unless a cord lasts you over a month, I go through one cord a week on average. Or your climbing line unless you have more than one of the same type.

The only items I mark are multiples, like say I have 3 Petzl AM'D's so I individually mark them to tell which one is which to help record any faults.

As for my climbing lines I only have one 50m Edelrid 12mm and one 45m Tachyon, so its obvious in my loler checks what I am refering to, I also have only one Hitchclimber pulley so do not mark that as again its obvious what i'm refering to.

If your an employed climber working in a company then it may be prudent to mark everything.

Otherwise keep it simple.

My loler inspector logged my climbing spikes (did'nt mark then as again its the only pair I have) so i guess it does come under loler.

So does a portawrap.

That swivel biner is not load bearing, and neither are acssesory biners so don't need lolering.

Chainsaw lanyards do need to be logged.

I've been recording my my kit using my intial followed by what it is and a number, i'e MWCR01 which is Marc W climbing rope 1 or MWMP01-Micro pulley one

Also Axeman I know a lot of climbers who use that exact hitch set-up like in the your picture, but I persoanally don't like it.

A blakes works better with cord the same diameter as your climbing line, a Blakes also puts a lot of wear on one point of the cord (the part that tucks up behind the 2 bottom coils) and smaller cords wear quicker, I've seen climbers burn through half of the cord in a single climb.

So be carefull, try a basket hitch like a knute or VT.

I'm not saying its unsafe just monitor is carefully, there are better option out there.

If you sub atall, or work for a large company..marking is not only about loler recognition but for your own peace of mind when gear gets muddled as you race down the pub on friday night, taking mateys karabiners with ya'!!

Personally, I mark my ropes and include a date (first used) but this should be supplied at the point of purchase.

She'll be right mate!

I gave up fighting the fight with friction cord...as Marc says, it gets replaced all too soon to keep chasing it down.

As far as PPE and rigging eqpt goes, yeah, it should all be marked so as to be passed as the item identified.