Trees in the quake

Lancstree

Has anyone else noticed while watching the news reports about the earthquake in china, that surrounding all the rubble of once robust buildings are trees and still standing apparently unharmed?

This is testament to the resilience of trees through harsh conditions and how their design has stood the test of time. It also makes insignificant those concerns from western home-owners about their trees suddenly toppling onto their conservatory in my opinion. Perhaps we can use this as a point of argument in retaining valuable trees.

There'd definitely be a niche for that. I've heard of teams going out to teach the necessary skills to local people in disaster hit regions. You are quite right about Burma but I still find it quite amazing how far we are from achieving design akin to that found in the natural world.

There'd definitely be a niche for that. I've heard of teams going out to teach the necessary skills to local people in disaster hit regions. You are quite right about Burma but I still find it quite amazing how far we are from achieving design akin to that found in the natural world.

Human design and engineering will never be a patch on nature and that what the good lord designed:icon14:

Burma was a different story, trees every where, if I had the resources i'd have liked to help the poor sods out..

A small team of skilled tree cutters, able to go out to disaster zones at short notice, has always been on my mind..

Excelent idea, but if a country such as Burma wont even allow western food aid in, they certainly wont let a team of chainsaw guys in!!

It sticks in my throat a bit that all the do-gooders in the country want to help people in a far off land with money, food, blankets etc, yet when we have a natural catastrophe in our own land its brushed under the carpet. The poor people who repeatedly get flooded out in the northern areas of this country, are ignored by the news, the govt, in favour of being seen to do the "right thing" abroad. You want to do some good? Run a soup kitchen for down and outs or something!

Charity begins at home people!!

It sticks in my throat a bit that all the do-gooders in the country want to help people in a far off land with money, food, blankets etc, yet when we have a natural catastrophe in our own land its brushed under the carpet. The poor people who repeatedly get flooded out in the northern areas of this country, are ignored by the news, the govt, in favour of being seen to do the "right thing" abroad. You want to do some good? Run a soup kitchen for down and outs or something!

:congrats::congrats:

Human design and engineering will never be a patch on nature and that what the good lord designed:icon14:

Millions of years of evolution,the ones that could not survive earthquakes were lost...... to earthquakes :wave:

We have insurance to cover us, it really pee'd me of when people wanted to be bailed out buy the tax payer because they CHOSE not to have insurance and they had lost dishwashers and big TV's ect, I would have paid my insurance premiums before I bought a dishwasher!