Good bye Stihl ... sort of

TimberCutterDartmoor

I have a Stihl FS85R brushcutter with loop handle and it's a good machine. It has a solid driveshaft whereas the FS80 didn't and thus can take blades etc. I have a hedgecutter attachment for it which works fine too.

Yesterday I accompanied a mate of mine in the market for a similar machine to go buy one. Being the ott machine researcher I am we checked out models from all the following; Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Shibaura, Shindaiwa, Tanaka, Efco/Oleo-Mac, Makita, Lawnflite, Danarm, Kawasaki, Honda and Echo. This list was then narrowed down to Stihl, Husqvarna, Kawasaki and Echo and then finally to Stihl vs Echo.

What put us off the Stihl was principally the 4-mix engine. That was the theory before we started up one of each in the shop. Everything about the Echo was superior, particularly the build quality - it is completely astounding; almost made with love! It is a traditional 2-stroke but smoother, quieter, sweeter running and has very low vibration. Added to this, the machine is beautifully balanced and is ergonomically spot-on. At the £damage moment we got a much better deal.

I really am very very impressed with it. No more Stihl Brushcutters or Hedgecutters for me.

10092010842.jpg.554d4ec5878745a603afaa31a279b993.jpg

10092010841.jpg.85b73af87af1838e381656a6e24062c6.jpg

Thanks for this post, fella. I am looking at getting a brushcutter at the moment and this certainly gives me something to think about. How does this style of brushcutter compare against the bullhorn/harness combo for heavy duty bramblebashing?

Loop handle is highly manouverable and only one really suitable if fitting other heads whereas cowhorn or U handle better for long periods of mowing or scrub clearance. Harness with the latter is easier on the back. MST near me is selling off some SRM300s with cowhorn handle for a ridiculously low £316 - they have 6 left! :001_smile:

http://www.echo-tools.co.uk/index.php?pg=63&action=dept&did=11&pid=24&so=5&track=5&p=PX&topd=0

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Time will tell, I still use a kawasaki hedge cutter over 15 years old now and never fails. Husky clearing saw & brush cutter would never change from them and Husky saws. Stihl blower/vac & stihl pole saw.

Very happy with them and wont change unless I really have to, I know it makes sense to get new and is good business sense but new is not always best and I know my tools dont let me down.

I dont need to spend a day chasing a break down & looking for spares

brushcutter thats a toy mate ms400 or 450 thats a brushcutter good one at that all the power u want use it as a clearing saw put oregon star line on the 400 best machine u will ever buy. i have a Stihl 130 kombi system i used it for about 10mins with the brushcutting head on and i cant even think of a name/word (we are not alowed to swear on here) to tell u how gutless it is never use it compleat waste of time if time is money and u want to get the job done

sorry thats what i think as all r jobs are priced and the quicker i get the job done the more money i make.

dont use stihl hedgetrimmers we us tanaka and use the stihl 130 as a long arm hedge trimmer

am i rite in saying the echo has a 3year warranty on them

Edited by burrell_

Another good one is the Tanaka strimmer,they have bags of power,the firm i used to work for went over to echo gear and i heard no complaints,i use a kawasaki had it for 7 years now id put it against any stihl strimmer any day i really dont rate them theres not much adjusment handlewise on them and they go through fuel like a fat kid eating cake.

brushcutter thats a toy mate ms400 or 450 thats a brushcutter good one at that all the power u want use it as a clearing saw put oregon star line on the 400 best machine u will ever buy. i have a Stihl 130 kombi system i used it for about 10mins with the brushcutting head on and i cant even think of a name/word (we are not alowed to swear on here) to tell u how gutless it is never use it compleat waste of time if time is money and u want to get the job done

sorry thats what i think as all r jobs are priced and the quicker i get the job done the more money i make.

dont use stihl hedgetrimmers we us tanaka and use the stihl 130 as a long arm hedge trimmer

am i rite in saying the echo has a 3year warranty on them

It's classified as a brushcutter in the industry so that's what it is. I have two 50 odd cc clearing saws for what you refer to so I am quite aware of the differences. You can't use attachments on the larger machines with cow-horn hanldes. The smaller machines like this have their place - I for one can't be arsed to don a harness and attach a big'un for 5 minutes of lawn edge clearing. These little things are 100 times more manouverable in this situation.

My climber has a tanaka hedge cutter (long handled - can take other heads) and it's fine. That is my point; like the FS85, they are all good by pro standards. What I'm saying is that I really think so many in this game just continually purchase what they trust and get parts for blah blah blah and of course that makes sense, but in this particular comparison the Echo machine pees all over the Stihl in every way. I'm a former tribology and combustion engineer with more degrees than a thermometer so I am very very anal about quality in equipment. Just my Stihl is SO crap against this Jap beauty I had to tell ee!