Petzl Sequioa Harness

Amelanchier

I'e just traded my TreeMagic in for one and I bloody love it! I'd tried to adjust the magic for nearly a year and it still pinched and crushed the jewels. The sequoia, on the other hand, was bang on after adjusting the bridge once. Love it. Talk about a light harness... It just ain't there!

:icon14:

• 5 months later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from doing my Units 30/31/38/39 with Kingswood Training - bought a Petzl Sequoia as the harness I'd been issued with was very uncomfortable (although I should point out that others said it was fine). The Sequoia basically got me through my aerial assessments!

Although I don't have much experience with other harnesses, this one allowed me to work in comfort, it was light, plenty of gear/attachment points, leg loops were comfortable when adjusted correctly, and - most important of all for me when comparing to the other harness I tried - it did not restrict any movement.

My only issue is the main bridge. Any carabiner or large maillon connected to the main bridge is able to slip over the gold-coloured rings which link the straps and bridge together. This sometimes allowed excessive rotation or even slipped when you didn't expect it. By that, I mean that if the carabiner/maillon was resting against the ring, and you then suddenly put weight on it by shifting your centre of gravity, the carabiner/maillon would overcome friction, move past the ring, and slip about an inch or two. The first couple of times this happened, I was quite disconcerted! Solved by using maillons that were not big enough to go over the rings.

Anyone else noticed this or am I concerned over nothing?

Mike

Petzl make a small gold ring to run the bridge through Mikey. You clip into the ring which is just big enough for a karbiner but not big enough to slip over the larger gold rings.

Or you can make a custom bridge like so... :D

IMAGE_149.jpg.2e1b45bde451103067c96a6c9ec1c89f.jpg

IMAGE_148.jpg.0333f9001e17c9087e423b4917f3d4ff.jpg

Edited by Amelanchier
Pressed enter too quick!!!

Petzl make a small gold ring to run the bridge through Mikey. You clip into the ring which is just big enough for a karabiner but not big enough to slip over the larger gold rings.

Or you can make a custom bridge like so... :D

Like it! :drool: I take it that's just a standard rigging plate?

I'll have a look at the Petzl site for those rings. I'm guessing they're like the fitted loading rings (visible in your picture above) but will clamp over the main bridge.

I had a quick hang in the Sequoia at the arb show. I instantly found that the bridge is too low for me and I was constantly tipping backwards. Maybe this is adjustable?

I found the same thing with the Austria Duo 2 as well. Maybe I have got too used to the position that my horribly uncomfortable Butterfly holds me in...

MisterTee, I have been using the Sequoia SRT (purchased for that purpose) for the last few months and it appears to be a fine saddle. I can't say whether or not it would have enough adjustability for you but the three adjustment positions for the rings and the different length bridges available do alter its hang angles alot.

Just may take experimentation if you think it is worth the bother.

Another thing I will note, I bought this primarily, as stated, for SRT but find myself using it as my all around saddle, even on large removals. It is a close fitting saddle that seems to have no trouble handling a large saw hanging off the side.

Dave

I had a quick hang in the Sequoia at the arb show. I instantly found that the bridge is too low for me and I was constantly tipping backwards. Maybe this is adjustable?

I found the same thing with the Austria Duo 2 as well. Maybe I have got too used to the position that my horribly uncomfortable Butterfly holds me in...

Yeah, if you look at the pictures above, you can see two golden-coloured rings at the side of the bridge. These rings undo and the straps that tie into them have various loops; these loops adjust the strap lengths and you should be able to move the bridge around a bit. Also, I think the SRT variant bridge is mounted higher up so it may be worth a look.

As for hanging gear from the harness, there are plenty of attachment points and gear loops. Also you can either use upside-down carabiners through the webbing loops or the special Petzl gear-hanger clips for racking your kit.