Potential jobs following an MSc in Forest Management?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually a block of taught modules, often with some being "core" subjects and some being electives (including how to "do" research) for the academic year, followed by your dissertation. The dissertation subject can usually be within a pretty wide spectrum, provided it's relevant to the subject matter of the course. You'll be assigned the most appropriate tutor to help you along the way and provide periodic feedback and guidance. Some MScs expect you to cram it into the spring and summer, to submit in the autumn. Others give you more time. Being an MSc, the subject will generally need to be a piece of novel research, statistically tested and robust in its conclusions.

Costs-wise, they seem to be running at between £3.5-£5k for tuition, but count on a fairly large book budget if you want to get anything done (the popular texts are never in the library).

Some MScs require a relevant first degree, but some will look at a period of suitable industry experience as a way on, but may ask you to do some foundation maths or science the summer before to get you up to speed.

MScs, particularly ones with a vocational angle (arb and forestry would fall in this category) are now increasingly being offered as block study or distance-learning courses. Bangor do one now, and I think Myerscough do, too.

If you're interested in doing some further learning, you could do a lot worse than going and speaking to the people offering the course you might be interested in. If, as I gather, you're fairly interested in mycology (ahem), then Dr Mike Hale at Bangor my be able to offer some advice.

@scottf- yeah thats good advice about the car, being in that part of the country will mean kinda crappy weather most of the time, might be pleasantly surprised though.

youre bang on with your info about the MSc. the modules in mine will include forest pracice, silviculture, a GIS module, research skills and dissertation. we're also going on a tour of north america looking at the major forests which i am really looking forward to.

I'm studying at penrith, the man to talk to is Dr Ian Convery [course leader].

Not sure about an MSc but I did a BSc at Penrith. Now working self-employed trying to run a small forestry business. In theory could get a harvesting manager, timber buyers ect job with someone like BSW, Sheffields, Tilhill etc. Only trouble is there are NO jobs out there at the moment (or at least as rare as hens teeth!). FC was an easy option as plenty of jobs came up, but like other people said they won't take external recruitment for some time now. For me the BSc is a back up when I get too old and decrepid to pick up a saw, or if the business goes tits up, at least I stand a good chance of getting a job within the public/private sector.

@lumberjack pad

aha someone who's been to penrith! how was the uni life for you there?

interesting how you say that the qualification hasnt aided you at all, i'm hoping that mine will pay off- if not, i do enjoy working with my hands!

is your business running well or is it fairly difficult to sustain?

late reply, sorry! The qualification will pay off some day, just not right now as I'm a contractor, wrong end of saw and all that! Business is going ok, little too quiet this summer but things looking like they might be picking up again......

It was a fairly wild time there, hard work and plenty of drinking! Seen some lecturers at APF on Fri from the Rigg

yeah i mean i dont think any qualification is completely useless, bar a few. stuff you do must keep you entertained and sustained well enough to not need to go for a different job with your bsc, which is good!

your uni experience sounds pretty standard, sounds like my bsc [at hull]

Sustained well enough?? It keeps the bank sustained well if you mean that!:laugh1:

To be honest its picked up well, lots of good quotes going out and some good jobs coming off too this last couple of weeks. Without sounding like an old man I could tell you a lot of tales!!

Hull eh? I grew up in Hessle. From the least wooded county in UK, to working in forestry...:confused1: