The Fung Hunters

David Humphries

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Gives them all a level of protection they didn't have before! May potentially even change the way the site is managed?

Do they have future veteran oaks they're pollarding on the site, or is the twilight generation of oaks?

Will certainly try to get up there at some point. Between Windsor, the Heath, Oxfordshire, New Forest (going again week after next), and other places, I'll get there at some point hah.

All the fungi I'm finding around here are Ganoderma resinaceum and Inonotus hispidus, at the moment...! And a fair bit of Rigidoporus, too.

The ecology of P. quercinus is curious, too. Quite a poor competitor, I understand. Likes open wounds as well, typically sizeable areas of exposed heartwood. Did you collect any spore from the bracket for lab research? Would certainly be an idea to stockpile spore of the fungus, given its rarity.

The interesting thing about this find is that it was from an original site veteran that is now just outside the shrunken reserve due to encroaching housing development and I don't think has the same level of protection as the trees within the nature reserve.

Frustratingly I see this all to often, particularly near to work in north London where remnant ancient woodland veterans oaks are now in people's front gardens and get little or no more protection than scabby planted trees around them.

Reg's company do most of the work at the site and have created a good number of new pollards on top of the Haloing work they do.

Nev Fay carried out the original survey in the 90's

http://www.pro-natura.net/publikat-filer/Aspal_report_020811.pdf

https://democracy.westsuffolk.gov.uk/documents/s8129/15%200749%20TPO%20-%20Aspal%20Close%20Local%20Nature%20Reserve%20Beck%20Row.pdf

No spore collected as Dr Ainsworth is probably the biggest expert on the species and has recorded and studied it at all its main sites.

Have you read Martha Crockets paper on the oak poly's ecology?

It's always a matter of disgust to see such valuable habitat get destroyed, with a whimsical justification of "well humans needs somewhere to live". So does everything else, and when development takes over habitat for other organisms is challenged. Of course, that's the elephant in the room, or the taboo subject.

Anyway, it's refreshing to know Reg is helping create new pollards. I note managers are doing the same in Epping, where hornbeam of a young age are being pollarded. A great revitalisation of traditional practice, no question. Hopefully it gains for traction, regardless of why - be it cultural, ecological, economic, or otherwise.

Is that paper open access?

.....Is that paper open access?

I think Martha sent it to me via email, but looks like it is open access now.

Ecology of the rare oak polypore Piptoporus quercinus and the tooth fungi Hericium cirrhatum, H. coralloides, and H. erinaceus in the UK. -ORCA

Edited by David Humphries

• 3 weeks later...