advise on tree inspection and surveying

jamminjam79

i have climbed for years, but as my shoulder has dislocated 7 times this year already, I am no longer able to do so. (gutted)

To keep a position in my company and not be sacked off, I need to go down the theory route such as tree inspection. I have my RFS nvq level 2 which holds a tree inspection qualification, but wondered if there were courses i could develop on this. I am planning on doing the tec cert soon but need a quicker, maybe 5 day course, so i can still be of use to my employers now and not loss my job.

Any advice would be great

LANTRA 3 day Professional Tree Inspection Course is probably your best bet if you want something specifically related to inspection, otherwise the AA Tech Cert is a good all 'round, mid level technical qualification. A lot depends on your existing levels of knowledge and your time constraints (as you have stated).

And 7 times??? You're falling apart, man :lol:

They can make you redundant, BUT they cant sack you on the spot, they also have to give you some warning, have you spoken to them about this situation?

Like janey says, get on the PTI lantra tree inspection, 3 day job this will put you well up on the inspection route.

Dont forget to do plenty of tree assesment reading before hand. body language of trees, fungal strategies and T/R ratios blah blah.

thanks both. I am talking with the arb manager tomorrow. I will indeed take the lantra 3 day course, and then continue after with the tec cert level 3.

Can i do the lantra 3 day course with my level 2. it says i need level 3 to do it so not sure. If i can that will secure my employment.

And yes, my body is proper falling apart, but I make it look gooooood.

No matter who you do the PTI with...do not expect the 3 day course to be a teaching style affair...You gotta have the knowledge before really. hence the "recommended pre-requisite level 3 qual"....It will though ( if you're lucky) lend a few pointers and tips with things like survey/inspections....HTH

not bad, recently did polypores, brown/white rots and so forth in the RFS. will study up big time to get it planted in this head of mine. that still works good at least.

I had to nail tree indent for my utility arb tickets, so good there, ( never did much utility though as hated it)

The legal side i will have to brush up on.

cheers for the advice and please feel free to give more. im always grateful for advise:thumbup:

Check out the reading list requirements for the PTI. If your not already familiar with most of them and their contents, then you know you're going to be in for a hard time with this course. Although it's only 3 days, this may be misleading as it's assumed you already have a very good knowledge of tree hazard assesments, boimechanics, legal framework etc etc.

No matter who you do the PTI with...do not expect the 3 day course to be a teaching style affair...You gotta have the knowledge before really. hence the "recommended pre-requisite level 3 qual"....It will though ( if you're lucky) lend a few pointers and tips with things like survey/inspections....HTH

Well said that man.

The PTI is a poor course but a fair assessment of competence.

The fungi ident is dead easy as it is an open book exercise.

Hope you work something out with your boss. Bummer about the shoulder.