PA1 & PA6 Pesticides advice please

blue beastie

Hi Guys, i'm due to start this both of these in September. Was due to a few weeks ago but was double booked. Having very limited knowledge about spraying, what would i need to be taking with me for the assessments ?

Or will they let me know what i need to bring when i take the PA1 ?

Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice and confidence boost fellas - I passed!

My assessor seemed a decent guy which put me at ease, and he was really clear and concise with his questioning which helped.

TBH I didn't want to have to get my PA1 & 6 to begin with as I didn't like the idea of working with chemicals - am really pleased now that I did though and the course was really valuable in terms of showing that if you follow the rules it doesn't have to be dangerous.

ArbLloyd

You don't need anything other than a pen & paper for your PA1, and they'll be able to advise you then on what you need for your PA6 and where to get it.

My kit list for my PA6 test today was: PPE (visor, unlined rubber gloves, wellie boots & disposable suit all with approriate CE marks), 15m tape measure, 1 litre measuring jug, 20ml syringe, a big bucket, a washing up bowl with sand in to use as a drip tray when measuring chemical, a calculator, pen & paper, a pesticide product label and some tent pegs and warning tape to mark out the test area.

My PPE cost me £35 and the sprayer I borrowed off a mate.

If you want any more info gimme a shout or do what I did and post here for some pointers from other Arbtalkers.

Thanks again to all who advised.

Awesome mate, well done for passing !!!

Doesn't seem to bad tbh...

Do you have to take a certain litre sprayer or can it just be anything... it has to be a Knapsack/Backpack sprayer i take it mate ?

What would be the best type of knapsack sprayer do you think, i've been looking on ebay and theres loads....

5LT GARDEN BACKPACK PRESSURE KNAPSACK SPRAYER on eBay (end time 26-Aug-10 18:02:18 BST)

20l Knapsack Back Pack Garden Pump Pressure Sprayer New on eBay (end time 30-Aug-10 13:01:29 BST)

My kit list for my PA6 test today was: PPE (visor, unlined rubber gloves, wellie boots & disposable suit all with approriate CE marks), 15m tape measure, 1 litre measuring jug, 20ml syringe, a big bucket, a washing up bowl with sand in to use as a drip tray when measuring chemical, a calculator, pen & paper, a pesticide product label and some tent pegs and warning tape to mark out the test area.

Did you have to buy all that also mate !!

Awesome mate, well done for passing !!!

Doesn't seem to bad tbh...

Do you have to take a certain litre sprayer or can it just be anything... it has to be a Knapsack/Backpack sprayer i take it mate ?

What would be the best type of knapsack sprayer do you think, i've been looking on ebay and theres loads....

5LT GARDEN BACKPACK PRESSURE KNAPSACK SPRAYER on eBay (end time 26-Aug-10 18:02:18 BST)

20l Knapsack Back Pack Garden Pump Pressure Sprayer New on eBay (end time 30-Aug-10 13:01:29 BST)

I don't think either of those would be much good.

You'd need one that had a CE mark on, at least. Those may have, I can't tell. They should have, to be on sale here, but you never can tell with ebay.

The main thing is that you'd want a lance that can take a suitable nozzle that will give you an even flat fan pattern - probably an anvil type, or an evenspray fan tip. You might find that the nozzles on those ebay sprayers will only give you some sort of cone pattern, which wouldn't be appropriate for the test you'd be set. On those cheaper sprayers, you often find that you can't change the nozzle to something suitable.

A professional standard knapsack comes in at around the £100 mark; cheaper ones aren't worth the money imo, you'll be replacing them every year.

I've had good results with bastion 15l sprayers, and think they're good value for money. More expensive, but better quality, are bertoud sprayers.

Thanks for the reply Quickthorn... thats good to know tbh...

I will have a look for some bastion & bertouds. Quickthorn, do you know where the best place to buy from is ?

Agricultural suppliers in your local yellow pages?..easiest thing is type brand of sprayer plus your location into google :biggrin:

lol.. i meant cheap suppliers ! :blushing:

Any recommendations ?

can't think of anywhere in particular, I haven't bought one for a while. If it's just for the assessment, could you not borrow one from your college?

FR Jones sell various sprayers, including the bastion 15 I talked about. I don't think they get much cheaper than that

Edited by Quickthorn
Add Jones bit.