2 fungi on beech, ID needed...

stampy

I'm only 60% confident this is M.giganteus, with 40% of me feeling this is a pale, large, Trametes sp. that I've never been able to nail down.

If the pores or outer lip do not slowly blacken when bruised, then this ain't no Meripilus.

But as Hama points out, the Ganoderma is slowly killing the tree so for this reason alone, it will be wise to fell.

Not being a tree 'doctor', I've no idea how many tube layers a Ganoderma must have before it is considered to have done sufficient damage for the tree to come down, but certainly 2 years growth (or 2 layers of pores/tubes) is no reason to panic.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forest, I am fascinated by your comments regarding this trametes youve never nailed down, that you think that merip which doesnt bruise is not a merip at all and may be this trameters your working on, please elaborate as this is for us all a VERY important issue.

and for the record, a bracket means not a lot decay wise, it is merely the fruit of sexualy compatible rival myceliums within the wood, decay may be going on for many moons before the bracket occurs. and australe has very aggressive decay characteristics, able to use polyphenols within barrier zones as a food source, and degrade highly suberised bark, it is from a hazard assesment point of view "a nasty rotter" The main problem is that people NEVER go to the trouble of ident confirmation on brackets like these, and this is a massive and critical error in hazard evaluation. The prognosis and diganosis of decay and its development is in its infancy. We have so much to learn, or rather the info is out there, but no ones reading it!

Forest, I am fascinated by your comments regarding this trametes youve never nailed down, that you think that merip which doesnt bruise is not a merip at all and may be this trameters your working on, please elaborate as this is for us all a VERY important issue.

and for the record, a bracket means not a lot decay wise, it is merely the fruit of sexualy compatible rival myceliums within the wood, decay may be going on for many moons before the bracket occurs. and australe has very aggressive decay characteristics, able to use polyphenols within barrier zones as a food source, and degrade highly suberised bark, it is from a hazard assesment point of view "a nasty rotter" The main problem is that people NEVER go to the trouble of ident confirmation on brackets like these, and this is a massive and critical error in hazard evaluation. The prognosis and diganosis of decay and its development is in its infancy. We have so much to learn, or rather the info is out there, but no ones reading it!

Can you tell me where you have quoted/copied this from ? (I'm well aware of what I have not underlined)

Sounds like your authoritative book is due out soon - I look forward to reviewing it.

Can you tell me where you have quoted/copied this from ? (I'm well aware of what I have not underlined)

Sounds like your authoritative book is due out soon - I look forward to reviewing it.

Thats a sneaky poke, and noted

Diagnosis and prognosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees by FMWR Shwarze, not a quote from the book, my words reflecting the truth of the matter, that tree fungi are from a decay/strategy point of view only just begining to be understood, and the members in here prove that point beautifully.

If you have some usefull info or rather links to good info on this subject i would love to know what and who they are.:thumbup:

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

".....The main problem is that people NEVER go to the trouble of ident confirmation on brackets like these, and this is a massive and critical error in hazard evaluation. The prognosis and diganosis of decay and its development is in its infancy. We have so much to learn, or rather the info is out there, but no ones reading it!....."

This is a frustration that I share with you .:001_huh: Very quickly I became reticent about exploring and relating this information on the forum as it is too readily dismissed and put down by folk who take things to heart or too seriously or just plain and simple, big them selves up too much....!

I cant be bothered to feed my ulcer by arguing with complete strangers who seem to know little, and are prepared to be told less! :thumbdown: It quickly descends into a world of anything and everything wrong about internet communication, and not the matter in hand-fungi,wood decay and issues of Tree care!

Its a rare thread that I find interests me these days...and this is because of what gets discussed frankly...I certainly dont have the kind of problems I experience with people on the internet, in the real world.....:001_smile:

".....The main problem is that people NEVER go to the trouble of ident confirmation on brackets like these, and this is a massive and critical error in hazard evaluation. The prognosis and diganosis of decay and its development is in its infancy. We have so much to learn, or rather the info is out there, but no ones reading it!....."

This is a frustration that I share with you .:001_huh: Very quickly I became reticent about exploring and relating this information on the forum as it is too readily dismissed and put down by folk who take things to heart or too seriously or just plain and simple, big them selves up too much....!

I cant be bothered to feed my ulcer by arguing with complete strangers who seem to know little, and are prepared to be told less! :thumbdown: It quickly descends into a world of anything and everything wrong about internet communication, and not the matter in hand-fungi,wood decay and issues of Tree care!

Its a rare thread that I find interests me these days...and this is because of what gets discussed frankly...I certainly dont have the kind of problems I experience with people on the internet, in the real world.....:001_smile:

You shouldnt allow the odd ones to affect your posting Tim, im listening and want to hear what you have to say, even if me and you end up being the only ones dicussing it!

I'm only 60% confident this is M.giganteus, with 40% of me feeling this is a pale, large, Trametes sp. that I've never been able to nail down.

If the pores or outer lip do not slowly blacken when bruised, then this ain't no Meripilus.

But as Hama points out, the Ganoderma is slowly killing the tree so for this reason alone, it will be wise to fell.

Not being a tree 'doctor', I've no idea how many tube layers a Ganoderma must have before it is considered to have done sufficient damage for the tree to come down, but certainly 2 years growth (or 2 layers of pores/tubes) is no reason to panic.

I'm only aware of a few Trametes species and they all seem to fruit directly on standing or fallen wood. Are there any forms of Trametes that commonly fruit through the ground? If there is one presumably it would have some relationship to tree roots?