Ash - Daldinia concentrica - Cramp balls/King Alfreds Cakes

MaxJ

Just got back from looking at a sorry looking Ash tree that belongs to a family friend. The council have recommended a 40% reduction but have given permission to remove entirely if the owner wishes.

However, as the pic's show, it doesn't look that healthy. Lots of Daldinia concentrica - Cramp balls/King Alfreds Cakes (thanks to the Fungi Directory:thumbup:) on the lower larger limbs and stem and little foliage apart from the ivy!

What would you recommend?, I'm thinking removal as it's on the road side and there's a high chance of limbs failing.

Also, will cones and banksmen suffice or do you think I have to request a road closure? Obviously either way I will inform the HA.

Thanks.

5976579d98d00_EH(6).jpg.6895945504dc7699c21b4f3fe1c47a05.jpg

5976579d96b51_EH(5).jpg.7e527d97263c42e3f9de0c9445aa5058.jpg

5976579d93e10_EH(3).jpg.87e2857b5068923830c4c4d7a09f8c45.jpg

5976579d92422_EH(2).jpg.0a9eb7e54595e56364770feb049d1a0e.jpg

5976579d7d961_EH(1).jpg.9f5718d83439f6a6377b2c90362b9240.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if its in poor condition then a 40% reduction isn`t going to do it any favours but it`s a bit hard to tell from the photos.

Traffic control depends on the road. I can see a bend so if cars travel fast along the road then lights might be a good idea. If its a quiet road then you may be ok with stop/go boards. Could you fell it into the field? That would reduce the time working on the road. If you`re not sure don`t do it.

That's the thing I'm not sure so would prefer to take the weight out of it and then drop the stem into the field.

I did say that it may be a waste of time reducing it due to the presence of the fungi and state of the tree.

If you`re planning to fell it then its a good idea to take some weight out and have a pull rope on it or a winch/vehicle if you have one.

If you`re dropping stuff into the road then just bear in mind that people drive like idiots so make sure you have adequate visiblity and stopping time. If in doubt lights, if your`re confident you can do it safely then use stop boards and plenty of signage. You can hire boards and signs pretty cheap.

The fungi is just a saprophyte. The issue is what has caused the disfunction and dieback and how serious is this. Looking at the tree i don`t think there would be much left after 40% off but others might be able to give better advice on that front.

Edited by Alinicoll
spelling

its a little hard to recommend much from the photos but here goes. if you can get yer hands on a tractor winch just rip the lot into the field live a far hinge and off she`ll go. if you've just got a turfer the yer limited cause cause of the speed. Take a little off the top so as it balanced and the turfer will do it but ....... give a gooooood set of signs either side set a man on each to stop the traffic for whence shes gonna pop.... oh i for got yep its goosed and why the inspector said to reduce is beyond me unless hes after a few year habitat

This tree aint goosed.

its got a bit of die back, cos its old and might have some Hispidus, severe the ivy at base and do a 30% reduction by drop crotching. Other than do the annual inspection come back for a second prune when its if its got some regen lower down and if its not retrenched and doing well then think about felling it.

why is it that just when a tree has reached its most valuable and interesting age class do people want to fell.

this tree is an eco system in its own right, and can and will contribute to eco system services foir another 100 years given the right managments, if not longer.

come on guys, as ted would say, "we can do this"

The customer doesn't really want to fell as he is into his old tree's. Will suggest a reduction and ivy removal and see what he says. So the Cramp Balls won't cause limb failure? Only because one big one is over the road with a large number of balls on it?

Thanks again.

The customer doesn't really want to fell as he is into his old tree's. Will suggest a reduction and ivy removal and see what he says. So the Cramp Balls won't cause limb failure? Only because one big one is over the road with a large number of balls on it?

Thanks again.

Never say never would be my response to the road issue. I was gonna post that the owners may not be up, quite understandably, for the expense of a management regimen. It will require repeat visits, at cost, from an arborist. That the owner is for the retention where possible makes for a refreshing change...!(:blushing:)

Daldinia is a saprophyte, as has been said. Ash though , is not the greatest wood from a decay/residual strength point of view.

You need to balance the extent of the reduction against two issues as I see it. Reducing the tree is prudent in view of the aspect (road) Leaving enough for the tree to respond is essential. Failing to do this will mean you will be back next year to remove it!( Not good for the client ) Bear in mind the LA ( is it TPO'd ?) has provisionally agreed a reduction. Leave it as it is and the risk of failure will not be addressed.

This tree is not yet mullered! It is quite possible to get this right. Of course, you may find the condition of the tree is worse than anticipated, once you get into the canopy. Equally, it may be quite sound despite the daldinia!

These are decisions you can make if you do the work.

Personally, I would not wish to see ALL the ivy gone. I understand the difficulties of assessing the stability of a tree when it is covered in ivy and this must not be ignored in this case I would suggest,. You should have a good look through the ivy for the Innontus as Hama has indicated. Removing the ivy allows you to make a realistic appraisal. However, as a beekeeper, I can tell you that ivy has more benefits from a wildlife point of view than may be the popular view. Could you remove it but leave it at a lower height? The sail area it creates is not insignificant. Reduce this and already you are reducing the PoF....(Probability of failure )

Good luck with it mate and keep us posted?:001_smile:

Shrewsbury is a beautiful part of the world eh. Great hedges . Quite the eye opener. Here in norfolk, we ripped them all out way back when...BIG mistake imo.:thumbdown:

I beg to differ chaps the daldinia is not the cause it's a symptom the tree is getting on a little as can be seen in the photos so yep dead wooding it needs and the ivy does need shifting agreed but this is a declining tree nearing retirement next to a road where cars probably travel at 50 mph I don't think some poor chap hitting some dead branch in the Middle of the road or though the windscreen would appreciate the fact that the tree was saved the axe.