UTVs?

Sam Thompson

Anyone using UTVs for Arb/Forestry work?

We got ours the other day and so far I am very impressed. Nevert thought I'de say it but I could see it replacing the quad for what we do soon. Its offroad ability is amazing, well compared to what you would think, and its could carry a fair bit too. Ours is a Kubota RTV 500 in orange with a roof and windscreen.

Thinking that (if needed) it could cary a chip box on the back (not a huge one).

Will try and get some pics up this weekend :)

Sam

you on flat ground then? as i have been in a few on slopes in them and think they are awful, quadbike every time for me, but then again some of the sites i access you wouldnt get a utv to, and the quad does everything i need of it,

if you have something the size of a utv why not get a compact tractor which is far more versatile?

I think there was another thread about this a while back. If its for transporting equipment, saws and a couple of people then the ATV is the ticket - if you want to scramble about ground that you probably should be walking over then go for a quad!

We've had both - for our work we have ditched the quad and are on our second mule. It can take tow the chipper, carry the saws, fuel oil, lunch clothes, two guys and what ever else - infact you could probably carry a quad on the back! :lol:

5976579d77fc8_Quadtreeplanting.jpg.bbdf4e791fc3ccf04f97d805eee7b1a3.jpg

you on flat ground then? as i have been in a few on slopes in them and think they are awful, quadbike every time for me, but then again some of the sites i access you wouldnt get a utv to, and the quad does everything i need of it

I am on flat ground (Cheshire, its only got two hills!) but I did a demo on a ATV course (45 degree slopes) and it coped just fine. A friend of mine who is the head grouse keeper on a estate in Scotland (about as hilly as you like) is having trouble keeping his keepers on quads! They are all after them! One estate I know of has a Polaris Ranger (The 4 seater "crew cab" version) running on tracks. Beats a quad hands down apparently, though I havent seen it myself.

If I was doing serious hill/bad ground work you cant beat an Argo, other than price.

If you have something the size of a utv why not get a compact tractor which is far more versatile?

To be honest I think the Kuboto is more veristile than a tractor, its just easy, fastish on the roads, can pull well enough for me.

Im still in the camp of my Honda Foreman for now ;)