RC 2000 and 3100 - Initial impressions

D Mc

Is anyone else using these yet? If not, try them.

When Reggie first displayed these products on the forums I made a comment to him that I would be most interested when they became available. Well, further discussion produced the RC 2000 and RC 3100 with the request that I post stating my honest impressions of the items.

For my operation, just myself and my wife, a small but capable lowering system is all we require. I have been a big fan of the PortaWrap III and have extensively used the Hobbs, so I know the pros and cons that each possess.

This lowering unit is a classic example of the evolution of an idea. Reggie has also used these different devices, and more, and modified key points to produce a lowering device that has the blending of their finer points.

He warned me that this unit doesn't really come into its own until you start getting into the bigger wood. Whereas I have not gotten to try that aspect of it yet, I don't want that to overshadow what it can do in normal, moderate-sized lowering situations.

In a cottonwood trim we recently did, several of the limbs were over a structure and required precise rigging. The RC 2000, with its top attachment, allows us, IMO, far better control than the PortaWrap. It is a subtle thing but you don't always want maximum slack taken out of a line. In those situations having a top tie places the bollard at the ready for instant slack take up and corrections.

I used a lightweight, 3:1 haul system on the top tie. Because my wife is not only small, but short, she needs a way to retighten the top tie that she could reach. This worked very well. Preloading the primary tie with the top attachment is more than just a convenience. It totally stabilizes the unit and the primary attachment. This has a greater stabilizing effect than you might think. A hitch-tied sling as an anchor point is incredibly strong and stable once loaded. Until that load is applied there is great opportunity for movement and even possible failure. So applying load directional force to the primary attachment has many mechanical benefits. When control needs to be precise these are important points. Even the large, strap-on units do not achieve this load directional stability on their primary attachment points.

The RC 3100 is a very well made, lightweight pulley that does exactly what it was designed for very well.

These units are VERY well built, easily capable of handling anything within the rope categories.

Unfortunately we don't have a third person to take action shots, so I am linking the Stein link that has pictures and videos that are far better than anything I could produce.

These are very fine and well made tools that improve upon what was previously available.

Dave

Stein USA

Edited by D Mc