Eucalyptus gunnii roots

gibbon

How likely is it that a 25m, 1.5m+ dbh Eucalyptus 3m from a building is going to cause structural damage? Its not on clay soil so subsidence I think is unlikely. I understand that the chance of direct damage decrease rapidly with distance, but this is a large tree with big root system.

The tree belongs to a neighbour, not the building owner and neighbourly relations have already deteriorated over this tree.

Whats is the likely root of direct damage occouring from roots either running alonside foundations of growing beneath them?

Is it worth excating soil to see what roots are up against the building?

If large diameter roots are found against the building then does the tree owner have a duty of care to prune the roots if damage from increment growth is foreseable?

I might get shot down here but the age of the house is not that old so proberly built to morden building regs so the foundations should be deep and damage less likely to occure.

You wont have any problems with subsidance.

You could dig some pits and inspect.

You probably right, if the building is on decent founds the tree will develop around it. However 3 metres is very close for such a large tree and it's well within the distances cited by Mattheck and Breloer, The Body Language of Trees, so there is a good chance the roots of the tree are using the underside of the foundation for stability.

30-40 years is a long time to hold a grudge. Is there any scope for sharing the burden of removal and replant with a suitable replacement.

May be a line of leylandii.:lol::lol::lol:

I agree with the above, there is no chance of subsidence due to the fact that the soil does not comprise clay. My first question, has there been any damage caused to the building?Is this damage (if any) characterisitc of tree root damage to buildings i.e. cracks, displacement or actual hard evidence (surface roots etc)? Is this the result of the feud or is the feud due to a difficult neighbour who wishes to have more light, less leaves and a good moan?

If there is direct damage why has the neighbour not contacted a structural engineer?...although he will see the tree and say "its the tree!"....W**kers!

I thinks some tiral pits wouldn't hurt, this will show you the extent of encroachment? I feel it is possible you will see alot of large diameter roots and therefore pruning will not be an option. :thumbup:

My suggestion would be to get some more trees planted in an appropriate, agreeable position nearby right away. The reasons for this are threefold; To somewhat lessen the impact on the local ecosystem, to establish that you're not taking anybody's side; you may be able to get both parties to share the costs if the outcome sounds fairer = less of a ballache for you, plus being diplomatic with angry neighbours is a good challenge! finally it shows you're a modern arboriculturalist :thumbup:, because to me it sounds like it's inevitably going to be felled.

Eucs are greedy, invasive trees, reducing it will probably make long term matters worse, and unless it has some real amenity value, I'd have it on the deck.

Just my 2 cents. I've got my tech cert this year so I'm trying to get into the mindset! :001_smile:

Edited by Ben90