woodland condition survey

"ANYONE who has met me from this site or had anything to do with me will tell you I will do absolutely anything for anyone, for me to ask for help in here is like asking friends as far as i am concerned and those that want payment, well i would happily pay."

Can't back you up there I'm afraid, I asked for your opinion on the FdSc and your 23 word response was pretty much about you. The only feedback was: content - not impressed.

Ditto.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all above, let me state clearly, i take NOTHING from anyone without at some stage returning the gesture.

ANYONE who has met me from this site or had anything to do with me will tell you I will do absolutely anything for anyone, for me to ask for help in here is like asking friends as far as i am concerned and those that want payment, well i would happily pay.

see it my way, from my perspective, I am asking for something, what others ask for in return is open to negotiation, i want to learn, and learn hard and fast, i have to.

:

I'm not replying here with any effort to fight battles for Tony, as he is a big boy and stands on his own two legs with conviction and honesty from my experience.

I've had the benefit of the (open) loan of many books both on fungi/trees & photography from him, without a single thought or request for anything back in return.

The main basis of a site like Arbtalk is obviously to debate issues, but also to build a working/sharing community.

I see clarity in both points of view in the exchanges here, but would say one thing, that before generic comments are made to or against any debator, I personally feel it's good prudence to try and get a handle on who the opposition really is (not their cyber-nality), and not tar with brush strokes aimed with what your predetermined views of someone are.

Maybe a pm or a phonecall is the best way to access the real situation.

Offered as friendly diplomatic advice, take it without prejudice or in any way it's seemed fit.

David :001_smile:

"ANYONE who has met me from this site or had anything to do with me will tell you I will do absolutely anything for anyone, for me to ask for help in here is like asking friends as far as i am concerned and those that want payment, well i would happily pay."

Can't back you up there I'm afraid, I asked for your opinion on the FdSc and your 23 word response was pretty much about you. The only feedback was: content - not impressed.

Ditto.

if you caught me having a bad day i apologise, if you asked and i ignored you, then i am truly sorry, im not that happy with the course I am on, so maybe this was reflected?

in my defence, but maybe there are others!:blushing: you are the exception, and ask again, if you can be bothered with it now.

If its just a basic management plan you're doing then the Woodland Trust do some good ones.

An example below (but have a look on their website for a range of different ones):

Management plan for Acomb Wood, one of 1,000+ woods owned by the Woodland Trust

Talk about giving people what they dont need. That management plan could have been condensed to 1 1/2 pages, a saved us the need to re-read the same thing again and again.

I wish that people would remember K.I.S. Keep It Simple

Sorry rant over

Talk about giving people what they dont need. That management plan could have been condensed to 1 1/2 pages, a saved us the need to re-read the same thing again and again.

Sorry rant over

thanks, and yes thats kinda my biggest issue, ive seen some online that appear to be so long winded you lose the will to live by the time your half way through and forget why you was reading it in the first place!

i am doing this for the first time, so although I am cpable and confidant of what I myself can produce, i wonder if those type of formats is what is really wanted or desired, seems some are just filled out to look fat in the presentation!:thumbup:

I'm not replying here with any effort to fight battles for Tony, as he is a big boy and stands on his own two legs with conviction and honesty from my experience.

I've had the benefit of the (open) loan of many books both on fungi/trees & photography from him, without a single thought or request for anything back in return.

The main basis of a site like Arbtalk is obviously to debate issues, but also to build a working/sharing community.

I see clarity in both points of view in the exchanges here, but would say one thing, that before generic comments are made to or against any debator, I personally feel it's good prudence to try and get a handle on who the opposition really is (not their cyber-nality), and not tar with brush strokes aimed with what your predetermined views of someone are.

Maybe a pm or a phonecall is the best way to access the real situation.

Offered as friendly diplomatic advice, take it without prejudice or in any way it's seemed fit.

David

I am well aware there are some big fancy folk in here under names I know not, and I wouldnt want to know, and have my responses altered because of knowing. i take folk as i find them, and dont judge anyone on thier posts on a forum, meeting face to face is always a suprise, and no one is what you expect!:001_smile:

I am guilty of making generalisations regarding consultants and qualified arbs and i am dissapointed with myself in having done so, there are plenty of good ones, just like the contracting side i guess, a rouge round every street corner.

i hate being tarred with the same brush as others, and have been doing so to many myself, and thats a really hypocritical thing to do, and i apologise to all that have been offended or got the wrong impression of me as a result.

I am incredibly fustrated with my current situation, and bored to my wits end, this is being outwardly reflected as is being cleary felt, please dont take offence and know i meant not to do so.

I ENVY those with the means and resources to get ahead, I really do, and totaly respect the work that goes into achieving it.

i will get there in time, i just get so darn fed up with the graft and effort after a days sweat blood and tears shifting 4-5ft wide cords of poplar up a hill from a stream at the bottom of a valley. Clearing up trees that I said where being undermined by rabbits not 3 months ago, and here we are, clearing them up the hard way!

wont someone LISTEN (not you lot! everyone else!), I DO know my job and then some!

Ive been bitching and moaning and ive been out of order, and Im sorry to all even those that have only had to listen rather than interact!:lol:

one things certain, im bloody keen and determined!

as claus would say, "the spirit of a staffy bull terrier!":thumbup:

if you caught me having a bad day i apologise, if you asked and i ignored you, then i am truly sorry, im not that happy with the course I am on, so maybe this was reflected?

in my defence, but maybe there are others!:blushing: you are the exception, and ask again, if you can be bothered with it now.

Apology accepted Hama', I'm sure it was just a reflection of the course or you having a bad day. You did answer however - you didn't have to!

I would like to take you up on your offer of more feedback when you have time.:thumbup1:

Apology accepted Hama', I'm sure it was just a reflection of the course or you having a bad day. You did answer however - you didn't have to!

I would like to take you up on your offer of more feedback when you have time.:thumbup1:

Just PM any questions and i will answer, I completley wasnt prepaired for the cost nor study methods, and got so lost and gave up, but ive still got time to redeem myself and make a pass of it so who knows.:thumbup1:

Hamadryad,

I think I get so passionate about the subject of Education because I am in the same shoes as you with regards the feeling of doing years of hard labour knowing you have a bit more to offer.

I also understand what it costs to study for that piece of paper. But please embrace the fact that no matter how knowledgeable you are (far more than myself and many others on this site), you would still benefit from every educational course you applied yourself to and be able to offer yet more to the industry.

I do feel that there are enough hours in the day for you to develop yourself professionally. Afterall, you have over 4000 posts on here. You would be more than capable of doing something like the Tech Cert in your spare time. I am going to do it when I finish my degree.

Yes this site is about sharing. But this industry is still a business and a very difficult one to carve out a career in. Therefore when you are aiming higher you are exploiting a smaller niche. I for one dont feel comfortable giving my hard earned report templates away for free because I worked so hard to compile them. They are as valuable to me as my ropes and tools.

I am sure you realise a generic report might include:

A Summary with key findings (usually written last but published first)

A Remit

Background

Introduction

Scope

Project description

Methodology

Desk study including legislation and policy

Results

Discussion/ Non obligatory recommendations

Appendices

Is your report a Woodland Statement? As in current biotic occurances within your site? If so, someone of your Botanical/Ecological knowledge could write a report from scratch in no time.

Sorry rant over

:thumbup1:

A lot of companies seem to produce weighty tomes for what need only be brief report - I guess it's a way of justifying fees - the thing is that much of the content is often standard text that gets pointlessly reproduced, just to make the report look more meaningful - I think it wears a bit thin for some people when they end up paying a substantial fee for a 45 page document relating to half a dozen average trees on a development site, when a page or two of relevant information would suffice.