Drought....... Its Official!

Gnarlyoak

S'funny, all the northerners I've had the pleasure of drinking with fall over before bedtime:lol:

Aye 'cos our falling down imbrication has'nt been watered down! So when faced with the suvvern watered down pisch we're not use to not used to the extra water content. :001_tt2:

Now theres a drought on we'll all be back sharing the tin bath in front of the fire with the rest of the street come bath night. Till me dad comes home, wakes me up half an hour before I go to bed, make me eat me cloth cap dipped in dripping before beat me to death with a spade and then makein me lick me whippet clean we mi tongue.

EeeeH, them were't days! :lol:

how about digging all the peat out of the reservoirs so lots of water would fit in instead? should get criminals to do it cos prisons are overcrowded.. drought pah! had to wring me tshirt out today from rain.

What a great idea, not only would we have deeper resevoirs that could hold more water, we'd also have an ample supply of peat without the need for the ecological vandalism of peat exstraction from peat bogs, which are an essential carbon store as well as fragile eco reserves supporting a unique and finely balanced range of flora and fauna.

Of course god forbid that we should try and force these neredowells loitering in our prisons to perform a bit of manual labour to pay their debt to society. They'll all be on to their tax payer funded lawyers crying breach of their "human rights" and looking for a 6 figure taxpayer funded payout for hurt feelings!

Bah! Prison does'nt work... fact! Cost of a bullet, cheaper than the amount it costs for a prisoner to be locked up for an hour... fact! Solution to end prison overcrowding and reduce the country's budget deficit.... simples! :sneaky2:

What a great idea, not only would we have deeper resevoirs that could hold more water, we'd also have an ample supply of peat without the need for the ecological vandalism of peat exstraction from peat bogs, which are an essential carbon store as well as fragile eco reserves supporting a unique and finely balanced range of flora and fauna.

wasn't my idea sadly, my father in law designs and model tests pumpingstations and reservoirs and every time a drought is on he gives the same line, as well as a few forgotton reasons explaining the facts n stuff. theres a lot of peat getting washed off our hills, a couple of years ago i helped national trust dig bales of heather into watercourses on marsden moor to try to trap peat from washing off, hopefully it will build up in these areas and plants hold it together..

how about digging all the peat out of the reservoirs so lots of water would fit in instead? .....

Doing this also as another benefit in the form of Moorland Gold.

most of its due to not using what was called the ditching gangs ,they used to keep all the ditches clear ,so the rain water would run in to the resys thus filling them up, no ditches,no water !!! , good old privatisation put a stop to that for sure ,that came from a chap i new @ yorkshire water :001_smile:

The problem is getting the balance between clear ditches / streams to collect natural water seepage from the peat whilst not drying out the peat which leads to massive scale peat erosion. It is for this reason that their as been a lot of time, effort and finances to dam the grips.

The biggest problem as I see it is our demand for water is ever increasing, but our storage capacity seems to remain the same or even reduced due to silting.

Doing this also as another benefit in the form of Moorland Gold.

The biggest problem as I see it is our demand for water is ever increasing, but our storage capacity seems to remain the same or even reduced due to silting.

The problem with United Utilities is that they have been selling off reservoirs to earn a quick buck.

Here is the latest for sale next week. In the national interest they should not be allowed to do it as most of these assets they are selling were originally compulsory purchased by the local authorities.

Lot 058 - Pugh - Property Vendors and Auctioneers