Soil compaction, remediation and mulching, the rhizosphere

Just wondering but perhaps there is a cost resistance from the residential client? We undertake a considerable amount of root investgation and decompaction work through commercial developers but very little in the residential sector.

I suspect there are financial incentives during development that aren't realised by / sold to residential customers.

Thats a very valid point Tony, and i wonder how we might do this?

It is now well known that trees have profound effects on human health, both physicaly and mentaly, then there are eco system services etc etc.

Theres a lot of research and work going on to ensure trees are evaluated less for their risk factor than for thier monetary value and inherant contribution to wealth and well being.

A great deal of these things where talked about yesterday at the TEP seminar on avenues buelevards and alleways. was a great seminar and really showed just how important these considerations are becoming.

Wind dampening, dust filteration carbon sequestering, mental health benifits, even helping to reduce crime by increasing the value poeple place on thier locality, reduction and protection from global temp rises etc etc etc.

so much scope for marketing this side of our business. so what if we hardly ever pick up a saw, and use worms mulch and airspade instead, what on earth (scuse the pun) are we afraid of?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so much scope for marketing this side of our business. so what if we hardly ever pick up a saw' date=' and use worms mulch and airspade instead, what on earth (scuse the pun) are we afraid of?[/quote']

Is this the same Hama that was baying for Nevilles blood, but not two weeks past? :biggrin:

Did ya get to have a chat with the busy little bee?

I'm all for valuation of trees as assets but I was thinking more in terms of competitively pricing root work and being able to demonstrate a gain.

I dare say that most residential clients are not interested in making their tree more healthy or encouraging its growth - most arb work is removing trees or parts of trees.

I'm all for valuation of trees as assets but I was thinking more in terms of competitively pricing root work and being able to demonstrate a gain.

I dare say that most residential clients are not interested in making their tree more healthy or encouraging its growth - most arb work is removing trees or parts of trees.

Tony you missed my point, what i am trying to suggest is that maybe we should all be trying to educate the public of the BENIFITS of trees and offering them services to increase these rather than focusing on the risk and responsibility, push the posative, relagate the negative.

and clients are likely to be more open to this when you make them realise that trees add greatly to the value of thier homes, as does urban greening to a locality

Is this the same Hama that was baying for Nevilles blood, but not two weeks past? :biggrin:

Did ya get to have a chat with the busy little bee?

neville saw my point, and i saw his, i think this is meeting half way.

my point was not so much baying for his blood david, it was more to do with the WAY he put it, and i wanted to understand why and what he meant by it.

I suggested that statements like that will set the "movement" back due to setting others up in opposition. That the ground gained within arbor ecology was not his alone to lose by using such words.:001_smile:

Tony you missed my point, what i am trying to suggest is that maybe we should all be trying to educate the public of the BENIFITS of trees and offering them services to increase these rather than focusing on the risk and responsibility, push the posative, relagate the negative.

and clients are likely to be more open to this when you make them realise that trees add greatly to the value of thier homes, as does urban greening to a locality

Indeed. Our risk management policies that we produce for our larger clients require staged planting before the lower priority end of risk work. We push tree benefits all day every day.

I try to think sometimes about what it must be like on the recieving end of the 'propaganda'. I guess its a bit like the leaflets I get through my letterbox from the council reminding me about saving energy. Great for the environment - each special lightbulb saves 15 polar bear cubs etc and reduces your bills too.

I still haven't got round to upgrading the loft insulation...