tec cert

Glen Poole

For anyone who's thinking about studying for the tec cert be prepared to give up on your social life, freinds & family lol. It really is a mentally demanding course in which you have to study your ass off & let it take over your life but i think it's well worth it, It definatley opened up a hole new world of Arboriculture for me. I found it really interesting & thoroughly enjoyable & i made some great new freinds & contacts. I quickly found that on top of the one day a week at college, you need to put in about 2-3 hours a night studying & also set aside an all day grafting through notes, books & the internet on a sunday. It really is tough, especially the last few months. But don't let me put you off, you learn so much, it's well worth doing, one of the best things i have ever done. So to all the climbers out there who don't want to go full circle & end up back on the ground for the rest of their days, go to college & study, like i said before, it opened up a hole new world of Arboriculture to me & i now know what direction i'm heading in.:thumbup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that it was a waste of time me doing a Tech Cert because I have a forestry degree. I enjoyed the course at Merrits and passed the exam at the first time of trying. I did go for one management day exam but soon realised that it is complete set up. The examiner knew some of the candidates, I was asked some very silly questions about subsidence in the BS5857 exam. The woodland and the identification exam are really just memory and spelling tests without the benefit of siting down somewhere comfortable. I did think about retaking the management day and went on the Tree Life preparation day but after been talked to like an idiot by one of the examiners and having a very unsuccessful conversation about reasonable adjustments with one examiners and ABC Awards. I decided that it just was not worth the pain and hustle of having a second go at the management day.

Also if you want to do an Arb or Forest degree it is cheaper and easier to A Levels on-line or at evening school/college.

Do you have a negative view of the management exercises because you failed them?

Being able to spell botanical names is totally relevant, this is aimed at management level!

I have seen such poorly written English recently from business consultants and solicitors to mention two examples, it is a sad state if graduates can't spell or be bothered to check their work.

ps "very silly questions about subsidence"- its in the syllabus -learn it and don't complain. Qualifications are not just handed out you have to earn them.

Is there anyway you could study the tech cert over a few years? Just finished my cert in arb, and would like to go further but don't have the time to do day release.

Steve

Tractor boy,

you don't need to do a course to take the exams, you can register as an external candidate.

Download the syllabus and learn it from books and the internet.

Tractor boy,

you don't need to do a course to take the exams, you can register as an external candidate.

Download the syllabus and learn it from books and the internet.

Thats what I was thinking, just finished my cert in arb. We had a great lecturer but only really lent from reading over and over the notes.

Do you have a negative view of the management exercises because you failed them?

Being able to spell botanical names is totally relevant, this is aimed at management level!

I have seen such poorly written English recently from business consultants and solicitors to mention two examples, it is a sad state if graduates can't spell or be bothered to check their work.

ps "very silly questions about subsidence"- its in the syllabus -learn it and don't complain. Qualifications are not just handed out you have to earn them.

The keyword in my posting was 'reasonable adjustments', I am noting going to share with you why, I need them and there are various statutory laws that require all organisation to provide them to me.

I only went to the management day once and that was sufficient for me to discover that the format of the exam is impossible for me to pass without adequate reasonable adjustments. When, I attempted to arrange these for the second time ABC Awards were very unhelpful. What is ironic, I was told this before I went for the management day and did not believe the pair of them.

I have worked for one of the evil twins Arb firms of the vegetation clay shrinkage the question was silly and irrelevant just read the SCOPE of NHBC Chapter 4.2 (2005). I might not have the ability to spell correctly with out the aid of a spell checker but I have NEVER inserted statements in reports from yet to be issued, superseded standards and or irrelevant documents.

I now also remember that the examiner did not know that beech (Fagus sylvatica) had been up graded from a moderate 'water demand' (warning this term has no biological meaning it was meant for builders) to a high 'water demand' tree in 2005. I would suggest that if you are going to ask silly questions you should at least know the lateness version of the irrelevant oracle you are basing your questions on.

The keyword in my posting was 'reasonable adjustments', I am noting going to share with you why, I need them and there are various statutory laws that require all organisation to provide them to me.

I agree completely that the reasonable adjustments should be made for you, I am fortunate I have not experienced problems apart from a touch of laziness. However adjustments must be reasonable ABC I assume did not agree with your definition.

I only went to the management day once and that was sufficient for me to discover that the format of the exam is impossible for me to pass without adequate reasonable adjustments. When, I attempted to arrange these for the second time ABC Awards were very unhelpful. What is ironic, I was told this before I went for the management day and did not believe the pair of them.

I have worked for one of the evil twins Arb firms of the vegetation clay shrinkage the question was silly and irrelevant just read the SCOPE of NHBC Chapter 4.2 (2005). I might not have the ability to spell correctly with out the aid of a spell checker but I have NEVER inserted statements in reports from yet to be issued, superseded standards and or irrelevant documents.

I don't see what your problem with NHBC 4.2 is- it is a working document.

I now also remember that the examiner did not know that beech (Fagus sylvatica) had been up graded from a moderate 'water demand' (warning this term has no biological meaning it was meant for builders) to a high 'water demand' tree in 2005. I would suggest that if you are going to ask silly questions you should at least know the lateness version of the irrelevant oracle you are basing your questions on.

"it was meant for builders"- who are you doing your 5837 report for?

• 2 weeks later...