Leaf Log. (The end to firewood as we Know it?!)

upatree

Really annoys me with claims of a British invention when Briquette machines similar to the one I use have been used for this purpose for years as well as nuts, grass, metal swarf, plastic, corn, woodchip, mdf, cherry pips, grape pips

virtually anything that can be ground up fine.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also slightly dubious about the statement that

Each log consists of up to 70% naturally fallen leaves.
What's the other 30% then - I'm guessing that if this is one of those "just light the bag" products it's likely to be some form of paraffin wax - so perhaps not as "green" as it's being made out to be?

Andy

I did some sawdust briquettes over the weekend - it was quite relaxing in the afternoon sun listening the radio but it took 1.5 hours start to finish to make 50 6"x3"x3" blocks on an adapted hydraulic log splitter but did get rid of a dustbin full of sawdust.

care to share marko with pics.... or is it a top secret patent thing

was the sawdust from out of your processor or was it kiln dried stuff???

Not top secret but it is a little dangerous (so don't try this at home kids). The design is MKII - MKI exploded. MKII is not that much better and is still dependent on knowing just about how much pressure you dare apply (when the box section starts to go round it is time to let go) rather than anything posh. MKIII is underway using some thicker walled stuff that hopefully will stand the maximum pressure of the splitter and thus be a bit safer.

The sawdust was from under the saw bench so was seasoned mixed hardwood. 10 newspapers added to the mix as a binder.

briquette-press.jpg.ac51b355e239366b2d9cf4ca22741051.jpg

briquettes.jpg.78f52963c6703b5f3a56428bcba86ca1.jpg

It is packed into the tube by hand (I have an idea for a hopper feed when I master the pressure problems) and then a ram is pushed down the box section then partially withdrawn and the box section indexes backwards. The ram is then applied again and it ejects the briquette. Hope this is understandable; it would be much easier to watch a video but I haven't got one.

The bulk of the water is squeezed out and it takes a further month in a greenhouse to bring the core of the briquette down to 20%. It makes no commercial sense whatsoever but has been good fun experimenting (and does get rid of sawdust!).

They do burn really well.