My new web site- your valued opinions!

arbclimber, general question, why is the site not suitable?

tony, i really like it, its obvious its a one man made site, which is nice, like an author of a book, you get the enthuasiam and personality through. i like the alan rayner quote. look foward to seeing it progress

:thumbup:

All will be revealed in the marketing thread mate. Been meaning to answer a few web site based questions on there and this will go a long way to answering them. :thumbup1:

For the record I agree with you about the personality and all that kind of stuff. Its just from a technical point, there are far better ways to do it. And most importantly, at no greater expense.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All will be revealed in the marketing thread mate. Been meaning to answer a few web site based questions on there and this will go a long way to answering them. :thumbup1:

For the record I agree with you about the personality and all that kind of stuff. Its just from a technical point, there are far better ways to do it. And most importantly, at no greater expense.

Im still listening....

and im still gratefull!

But one piece of advice to you arb climber, dont always asume that there is only one way.

Ask some of the guys in here that have only just begun to appreciate ARBOR ECOLOGY and WHY!

Whilst i need many lessons from you on how to make my skills pay, I could teach you equaly as much about how to win friends and influence people!:001_tt2:

So, what would you change?

Really like the idea. Definitely worth keeping an eye on the result. Know where arbclimber is coming from though. Friend organises festivals over here and had a go at making his own website for one of the festivals which was fine (some free flash based build your own website thing). Another friend who studies computer science came along, scrapped the whole thing and restarted from scratch (keeping the content of course). You can see the result here:

Temple House

Not a plug or spam, just an illustration of some possibilities. If some people take it upon themselves to go they won't be disappointed though. The grounds are amazing, really old trees everywhere, and unusually for this part of the country quite a variety.

One other point (and I could be wrong here), just think there's a slight hint of negativity in your intro. This view could be a bit tinted from having read some of your "lifelong learning.." thread. Just get the feeling from it that you are making excuses for your lack of "credentials", when from what I've seen you could write what you don't know about ancient woodlands on a stamp. If the site is only for arbtalk members, by all means leave it in, but if it is for the general public, then there is certainly no need for you to make any excuses.

Also, do you at any stage envision some commercial potential for this site?

Im still listening....

and im still gratefull!

But one piece of advice to you arb climber, dont always asume that there is only one way.

Ask some of the guys in here that have only just begun to appreciate ARBOR ECOLOGY and WHY!

Whilst i need many lessons from you on how to make my skills pay, I could teach you equaly as much about how to win friends and influence people!:001_tt2:

So, what would you change?

Win friends and influence people. Very interesting choice of phrase there. I dont think you want the thread heading in that direction. That may interfere with your search for 'particularly receptive people' and Alan wont be pleased.

Really like the idea. Definitely worth keeping an eye on the result. Know where arbclimber is coming from though. Friend organises festivals over here and had a go at making his own website for one of the festivals which was fine (some free flash based build your own website thing). Another friend who studies computer science came along, scrapped the whole thing and restarted from scratch (keeping the content of course). You can see the result here:

Temple House

Not a plug or spam, just an illustration of some possibilities. If some people take it upon themselves to go they won't be disappointed though. The grounds are amazing, really old trees everywhere, and unusually for this part of the country quite a variety.

One other point (and I could be wrong here), just think there's a slight hint of negativity in your intro. This view could be a bit tinted from having read some of your "lifelong learning.." thread. Just get the feeling from it that you are making excuses for your lack of "credentials", when from what I've seen you could write what you don't know about ancient woodlands on a stamp. If the site is only for arbtalk members, by all means leave it in, but if it is for the general public, then there is certainly no need for you to make any excuses.

Also, do you at any stage envision some commercial potential for this site?

Thanks for this, and your right, being beaten down by Degree qualified academics and consultants has nocked my self confidance bigtime. and it kinda makes me feel like i have to explain that i am no one and know nothing that my opinion is invalid and that anything I say or think is not legaly correct or provable!

as david put it, my mojo is well out of kilter, and I need to grow some balls again and tell em all where to go, like a long walk of a short peer!:thumbup:

I recognize Arbclimbers comments - my stepson is finishing off his masters in Computers at Bristol and gets really really really peaved with me when I do things on the computer which to him seem so basically flawed - but hey' we all have talent and computing like you Tony, isn't our principle one.

Tony your big talent is your subject - it's the communication of that talent that's Arbclimbers forte.

I hope that you can gain from his experience and he will continue to help in a constructive and tangible way, but hey they're generally a rather arrogant bunch so don't take it too personally - they can't help it!

Arbclimber I know where you're coming from, keep up the good work and stick with him, we will all benefit from Tonys knowledge

Tony - its a excellent move and medium for your work - i'll keep it bookmarked

:001_smile:

Win friends and influence people. Very interesting choice of phrase there. I dont think you want the thread heading in that direction. That may interfere with your search for 'particularly receptive people' and Alan wont be pleased.

See this is what i hate about online stuff!

that was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley, and I cringed a little when i typed it, but i was following your lead and getting a little dig in!

never mind, I was just TRYING to be funny:lol:

Gareth. Good post mate.

I'm no computer expert either, but I know exactly what the computer experts I employ, should be doing for maximum effect.

Arrogant probably, a marketing genius, definately.:001_tt2:

Seriously though, what I do is ensure my clients make the maximum amount of money out of their business. Its as simple as that. One of these ways is to ensure the websites they use are effective and fit for the purpose.:thumbup1:

Gareth. Good post mate.

I'm no computer expert either, but I know exactly what the computer experts I employ, should be doing for maximum effect.

Arrogant probably, a marketing genius, definately.:001_tt2:

Seriously though, what I do is ensure my clients make the maximum amount of money out of their business. Its as simple as that. One of these ways is to ensure the websites they use are effective and fit for the purpose.:thumbup1:

Well as for fit for purpose i really dont feel "fit for purpose" at the mo, I need to get some experience in the consulting surveying report writing side of things BEFORE I can feel secure in delivery of a product that i feel is not just fit for purpose but of a standard that will set me apart.

If i set the site up now as a consultancy operation i will get calls and have to make do with what ive got and that aint a lot, and I wont feel good about the standards i deliver on that basis.

But i am more than open to suggestions on this front!:thumbup:

Well as for fit for purpose i really dont feel "fit for purpose" at the mo, I need to get some experience in the consulting surveying report writing side of things BEFORE I can feel secure in delivery of a product that i feel is not just fit for purpose but of a standard that will set me apart.

If i set the site up now as a consultancy operation i will get calls and have to make do with what ive got and that aint a lot, and I wont feel good about the standards i deliver on that basis.

But i am more than open to suggestions on this front!:thumbup:

What price option did you go for on the eden web build thing you are using?