CV advice

Are there any ecological groups or less mainstream companies about that may appreciate your knowledge and skills mate. Seems to me that LA or mainstream consultant positions may require quals you dont have where as some who may be more focused on ecology etc may love to have you on board.

Right, back to arbclimber the marketing man.

How about setting up a company that advises big business about such things as corporate and social responsibility. This really is the 'buzz phrase' in big business at the moment. Any company causing any impact on the environment, specifically trees and such like, will be crying out for knowledge and ideas such as yours. A major concern for big business at present is their perceived environmental credentials. This is an area I know a good deal about. Could even be an area that you could actually 'make a difference'.

Now that is a thought!:thumbup1:

would i not still need to quantify my "skills and knowledge" though? who am I to take such a giddy role after all?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is a thought!:thumbup1:

would i not still need to quantify my "skills and knowledge" though? who am I to take such a giddy role after all?

Its all in the Marketing, stick with me mate.

Dont sell yourself short mate. With your passion, enthusiasm and unfailing commitment to your beliefs, you are better than you think.

As far as being taken seriously, do a few survey/ advisory jobs for charities and other such causes and you gain credibility. Who needs qualifications when you've got a Tony. There are no legal requirements when it comes to calling yourself a corporate responsibility consultant, just like calling yourself a marketing consultant. All I do is make sure everyone knows i'm better than everyone else. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of people who have even asked me to prove my quals.

Tony, your wanting to do consultancy right? why not ask to shadow someone to learn the lingo as such? its clear you know your stuff but being able to put in a CV you've give free time to learn from qualifieds may get you that interview? Its not all about who got what i got the chance to do the tech cert not because im clever but because i was willing to take a days holiday to hang around with the local planning officer and learn about the processes, city tree officer to learn about why some street trees are better than others. if a job comes up you can mention the shadowing you've done. Keeness to learn always stands good with employers and this may give you that foot in the door you so righty deserve. Just a thought.

Its all in the Marketing, stick with me mate.

Dont sell yourself short mate. With your passion, enthusiasm and unfailing commitment to your beliefs, you are better than you think.

As far as being taken seriously, do a few survey/ advisory jobs for charities and other such causes and you gain credibility. Who needs qualifications when you've got a Tony. There are no legal requirements when it comes to calling yourself a corporate responsibility consultant, just like calling yourself a marketing consultant. All I do is make sure everyone knows i'm better than everyone else. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of people who have even asked me to prove my quals.

Thats a tough call for me, I spent a lot of my life with uba confidance, and faith in myself, and all i got was knock backs and "your egos too big" and that upset me, because i am not ego at all, just confident.

Your right though, and I USED to be like that, i think it got kicked out of me!:thumbdown:

Tony, your wanting to do consultancy right? why not ask to shadow someone to learn the lingo as such? its clear you know your stuff but being able to put in a CV you've give free time to learn from qualifieds may get you that interview? Its not all about who got what i got the chance to do the tech cert not because im clever but because i was willing to take a days holiday to hang around with the local planning officer and learn about the processes, city tree officer to learn about why some street trees are better than others. if a job comes up you can mention the shadowing you've done. Keeness to learn always stands good with employers and this may give you that foot in the door you so righty deserve. Just a thought.

I might be able to get that oportunity through my local TO, having alerted him to several trees of late I am certain he might allow me to do so!

Top man, that is well worth a call to bob clark!:thumbup1:

Think big mate. You will never make a difference being an arb consultant. Advising businesses how to incorporate inclusionality into their environmental programs, now thats a different matter.

Have a think mate. If you want to look into it ill be more than happy to help. I do have some connections on the business and information side of things.:thumbup1:

You asked how I think you could make a career out of your knowledge and interests, this is it.:thumbup1:

Thats a tough call for me, I spent a lot of my life with uba confidance, and faith in myself, and all i got was knock backs and "your egos too big" and that upset me, because i am not ego at all, just confident.

Your right though, and I USED to be like that, i think it got kicked out of me!:thumbdown:

I might be able to get that oportunity through my local TO, having alerted him to several trees of late I am certain he might allow me to do so!

Top man, that is well worth a call to bob clark!:thumbup1:

Most TO are pretty good like that, just explain what your goal is and im sure he'll give you some time and scores of info on planning apps and how they survey/compile reports/data. All goes towards experiance:thumbup:

Tony, they say the best businesses are formed from people having a genuine passion for what they do, with profit being a bi-product of this. Confidence or not, you aint short of passion. Personally, I cant see you are going to achieve what you want to, working for someone else. I certainly will never be someone elses employee, mainly cos I value my own opinions too much:blushing: but you dont need me telling you that:lol:

I know we have different values and to be honest you are probably a better man than me. However doing my own thing has paid for my house, my cars, my bikes and most recently my helicopter flying lessons. Being the boss, its all good:thumbup1:

Tony, they say the best businesses are formed from people having a genuine passion for what they do, with profit being a bi-product of this. Confidence or not, you aint short of passion. Personally, I cant see you are going to achieve what you want to, working for someone else. I certainly will never be someone elses employee, mainly cos I value my own opinions too much:blushing: but you dont need me telling you that:lol:

I know we have different values and to be honest you are probably a better man than me. However doing my own thing has paid for my house, my cars, my bikes and most recently my helicopter flying lessons. Being the boss, its all good:thumbup1:

I could live with being materialsitic if it meant i had the resources to "make a difference" maybe i should start to think greed again\?

as for staking my claim, i am playing possum until such time as I feel I have the guns to back it up, however in light of your recent advice, and my own gut instinct i am inclined to do EXACTLY what you suggest, and do you know what, i reckon your spot on mate, that is a role i would do some serious work in, and LOVE doing it.