CS38 Questions/Gearing up

ecolojim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm. i thought id try and address both probability with a 5m wirecore, and then proceeded to fall off my seat when I saw the price of them. 3m reasonable, 5m ridiculous... unless someone can put me right?

i use a 5 metre lanyard as do many other people on my course. i found the 3 to be too short for certain cange overs. but thats just what i thought.

the 5's are more clumbersome though.

Wire core fliplines are not mandatory for CS39, they are recommended for use in scenarios where the chainsaw has to be used i close proximity to the climbing lines, additionally their rigdity aids in flipping them up the stem - hence 'flipline'.

• 4 weeks later...

oh bloody wonderful!!

email today from riseholme saying theyre 'postponing' the course til some time in early august!:cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

I must say I was warned, but I did my 30 and 31 there with no drama.

to say im pissed off would be an understatement, Ive got nigh on 500 quids worth of gear sat here, and two employment offers partly based on my having my 38.

nothing I can do about it.... Is there? I cant see playing hell with the uni doing much good but it might i suppose.

anyway, got in touch with Andy Reynolds at IBS who assessed me for my 30 and 31 and who is frankly an oracle of all things tree, so I'll see if he can find me a place on any of his courses.

anything I can do about riseholme screwing me about? It was aparently lack of subscription to the course, but surely on something like this, low numbers are desirable? there were only 4 of us doing 30 and 31 ffs!

• 2 months later...

first day was excellent. my instructor, a lot of you will know. A guy called Jim Phillpot. With where he works and knowing a lot of the same people I'm suprised we've never crossed paths before, but he's a phenomenal climber and ive learnt so many ways of looking at things already.

This morning will be my first proper climb of the course and my biggest climb to date, heading up a giant turkey oak with Jim alongside watching us stropping in and advancing. then I believe this afternoon if memory serves it's all about getting out to the tips.