Google Adwards good bad

8 different jobs, part-time arborist - still a motor trader, builder, carpenter, photo professional, ebay loader and horse dealer/trainer

if you want to be no.1, I will tell you for free - I do not care - websites are a window on the world - and not the answer to your dreams, having a good website is a bit like having a yell listing with your own pics and text - all people really care about is your telephone number, most have not got grips with email, plus the emailers are 20 to 1 that you'll get a job.

selling cars is different, because it's a national market - but its still the phone contact that does the deal.

with regards to the contradiction, it is possible to no.1 across the board with no cost - the 'bull' i'm talking about is the high prices they charge for the service.

I wouldnt mind knowing how.:thumbup1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

It's come to that time of year again... Advertising what to do? My I.T. guy tells me google adwords as does the rep from Yell. I did use adwords last year, dipped my toe in so to speak and by all appearances it had some success, however I don't know if that was due to the adwords or the effort I put into social media and just generally improving the website and what not. I'm sure its a bit of both (I certainly hope it is) just wondering if anybody else has and fresh comments regarding the subject? and specifically what kind of cost they were looking at? was it worth it? :confused1:

As title looking into the adwords any good bad experiences:confused1:

When using Google Adwords, make certain to limit the geographic area to be within a reasonable distance from your location. You can even allow a higher click-cost for locations close to you than those further away.

And make sure to choose the key (search) words to match those who are likely to have an intent on buying (possibly using the word "price" or "quote", and the name of the cities/areas you are servicing). And if you are already on top-5 on Google (organic) searches on certain search words, there is no point in paying to show Adwords on those words, too.

In our experience we found adwords "good" to wave the flag but I am not convinced we got any direct business from it. By this I mean google user enters the search term, sees the google ad and clicks through to us, makes the enquiry and purchases the product or service. Of course, flag waving all helps in raising awareness, profile etc.

One thing though - I have heard of competitors - not in the arb industry i hasten to add - clicking on their competitors links at every opportunity just to us the costs the advertiser. Petty I know!!

When using Google Adwords, make certain to limit the geographic area to be within a reasonable distance from your location. You can even allow a higher click-cost for locations close to you than those further away.

And make sure to choose the key (search) words to match those who are likely to have an intent on buying (possibly using the word "price" or "quote", and the name of the cities/areas you are servicing). And if you are already on top-5 on Google (organic) searches on certain search words, there is no point in paying to show Adwords on those words, too.

What he said. If you are not specific and fully lined up with getting the best shot at getting work you will burn money fast with no tangible return.

• 6 months later...

To get the most from Adwords you need an expert to manage it. The amount of adwords campaigns I have seen that are literally being bled dry because they are set up wrong is unbelievable. Before spending any money you need to familiarise yourself with the basic terms used e.g.

-Cost Per Click

-Click Through Rate

-Conversion Rate

-Impressions

-Cost Per Conversion

If you don't have a grasp of what these terms mean then don't spend a penny until you do! It is better to concentrate on creating good content for your website and building links from other websites.