dynamic and static and semi-statich

monkey boy

Dynamic ropes have high stretch...not really suitable for arbwork, more rock climbing where you might take a fall.

static, no stretch......used for srt ascents...speedlining....maybe other stuff that i cant think of right now.

i guess semi static would be the nearest description for what we climb with....low stretch rope

It is only static in comparison to try dynamic ropes like rock climbing ropes. It does actually have some give in it, enough to classify it as semi static.

If you ever climb on a static rope you will feel the difference.

In arb, as in many other work at height applications we use Low Stretch Kernmantle (See BS EN 1891). Kern = Core, Mantle = Cover.

Dynamic ropes are often used in rock climbing due to the nature of the discipline and are classified under BS EN 892 Dynamic mountaineering ropes.

Low stretch ropes are what we use in arb for rope access and work positioning (also called semi-static.

There are very few truely static ropes, but if you were looking for one you couldn't go far wrong with Teufelberger Globe 5000. The core of this rope is made from Dyneema which is exceptionally strong and almost zero stretch. However should not be used for PPE due to having a peak force which is higher than the EN will tolerate (greater than 6Kn)...i.e it would really smart if this rope arrested a fall!

Dyneema also has a very low melting point.

In arb, as in many other work at height applications we use Low Stretch Kernmantle (See BS EN 1891). Kern = Core, Mantle = Cover.

i'd disagree with this statement.....

as i understand it(with my limited knowledge of rope strucutre) kernmantle ropes have their strength in the core unlike arb ropes which is spread between the core and cover.....rock climbing ropes are kernmantle, but the only arb rope i know of which is specifically kernmantle is the New England Fly...and maybe Donaghy's NRG.

im ready to be enlightened though by you people in the know

discuss :001_smile:

...definition a per BS EN 1891 3.1 Low Stretch Kernmantle: 'a textile rope consisting of a core enclosed by a sheath, designed for use by persons in rope access including all kinds of work positioning and restraint; for rescue and speleolgy'

There is also a foot note which states that the core is 'usually' the main load bearing element. However this is the standard to which 99% of the ropes we use are tested, so they will fall under this generic definition.

There are both core dependant and cover dependant kernmantles; single braided ropes with a core which is purely to help the rope remain round under load, would for the sakes of testing probably be classed as the latter.

Like you Steve, i'm also keen to be enlightened so appreciate any other opinions.