blue cedar dismantle

testcricket01

to test it out fair enough, but that looked painfully slow. maybe if the top pully points were diffrent, and away from the main stem it could have an advantage. but looks like any of those limbs could have been lowered off flat with a capstan and cradle technique, or just capstan, or cut n chuck

but good to test things out before its needed:thumbup:

how do you reckon it will speed things up or help on some BIG limbs?

on long limbs going over houses sheds etc. because you can just cut it off in one swing it away from what its over. would save you haveing to take little bits at a time as you would have to without the two ropes system.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can it have made the job any quicker when after you made your cuts the limbs just sat there suspended for ages. None of them limbs where big enough to warrant taking the extra time to tie two knots IMO.

yes they were surspended for ages due to the fact were not used to useing the device yet with how many wraps etc, i could have just used one rope easy done it in the day, but for the added minute to stick another line on it was worth it if you ask me. all the limbs i took off with the 2 ropes folked off and you can easily judge them wrong with just one rope and they can flip and come right back at you. still people work in different ways. :001_smile:

to test it out fair enough, but that looked painfully slow. maybe if the top pully points were diffrent, and away from the main stem it could have an advantage. but looks like any of those limbs could have been lowered off flat with a capstan and cradle technique, or just capstan, or cut n chuck

but good to test things out before its needed:thumbup:

how do you reckon it will speed things up or help on some BIG limbs?

I'll answer that in TCs absence. On this particular job Josh we were able to put crane-size sections on the ground with relative ease http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/video-forum/8947-beech-rigging-video.html ; In fact we do it often but rarely bother to get it on film. Yes there were other options on that particular occassion, same with TC's cedar. But was it the quickest way to deal with our beech, by a mile.

TC is just getting to grips with his new device and what with his helmet cam, lets just see what happens before saying he shoulda done this and that.

TC, 1 or 2 wraps mate outa do, 3 is BIG, 4 for that entire tree. Tell you groudsman to relax. If you're double roping a limb you have to know 100% what that butt is going to do when it comes off the stump. Be careful. Nice vid, you loaded it on the web in avi? the file must have been huge.

I'll answer that in TCs absence. On this particular job Josh we were able to put crane-size sections on the ground with relative ease http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/video-forum/8947-beech-rigging-video.html ; In fact we do it often but rarely bother to get it on film. Yes there were other options on that particular occassion, same with TC's cedar. But was it the quickest way to deal with our beech, by a mile.

TC is just getting to grips with his new device and what with his helmet cam, lets just see what happens before saying he shoulda done this and that.

TC, 1 or 2 wraps mate outa do, 3 is BIG, 4 for that entire tree. Tell you groudsman to relax. If you're double roping a limb you have to know 100% what that butt is going to do when it comes off the stump. Be careful. Nice vid, you loaded it on the web in avi? the file must have been huge.

cheers reg i found that out after the first branch when it came back missed me but i learned and the others went just as i planned. i shall tell the groundie your advice on the wraps. i used the POV software saved it on my computer then loaded it up on youtube took half hour. is there a quicker way?

ok, now i can visualise the advantages, whereas before i couldnt see the advantages over the traditional techniques, thanks for the link

from 2.48 its impressive the ammount of control you can acheive from the butt pulley being so close, and the 2 line system, im guessing the lines were pre tensioned with the lever? what weight can it lift? or is its primary role to tension?

like i said above, its good to try new stuff out before its really needed, im still intrested in the users views, ease of use and experiences (people like TC or myself) as opposed to the manufacture/designers of new products (no offence reg, but you obviously know it inside out!)

ok, now i can visualise the advantages, whereas before i couldnt see the advantages over the traditional techniques, thanks for the link

from 2.48 its impressive the ammount of control you can acheive from the butt pulley being so close, and the 2 line system, im guessing the lines were pre tensioned with the lever? what weight can it lift? or is its primary role to tension?

like i said above, its good to try new stuff out before its really needed, im still intrested in the users views, ease of use and experiences (people like TC or myself) as opposed to the manufacture/designers of new products (no offence reg, but you obviously know it inside out!)

definetly well worth trying it out on small stuff first.

i wouldnt like to say much about it since ive gone from average capstan to this device. so i havent got any experience of other devices, but from useing it twice so far its much better than a capstan, solid and well made, the pre-tension arm is abit fiddley thats the only badish thing i could say about it but maybe thats because im not used to it only time will tell. im sure plenty of guys on here who have more feedback on it.

thanks for the reply tc,watching the vids again, i think why i couldnt see the benifits on youre vid, was because it seems like the butt pulley rope was high up with the tip pully perhaps? away from the butt?? which LOOKS like it decreased the ammount of control, whereas reg's vid in comparison, the beech branches are controlled much more because the butt pulley is close to the butt tie off point. youre opinion please? :001_smile:

if you were to do the cedar again, would you do it diffrently? would you take off whole limbs to the trunk, if you had the butt pulley close to the butt, like how reg does in his vid?

this is why discussions good! i can now appreciate how 2 ropes, with 2 pulleys speeds up the job, through lowering off bigger pieces, with more control

thanks for the reply tc,watching the vids again, i think why i couldnt see the benifits on youre vid, was because it seems like the butt pulley rope was high up with the tip pully perhaps? away from the butt?? which LOOKS like it decreased the ammount of control, whereas reg's vid in comparison, the beech branches are controlled much more because the butt pulley is close to the butt tie off point. youre opinion please? :001_smile:

if you were to do the cedar again, would you do it diffrently? would you take off whole limbs to the trunk, if you had the butt pulley close to the butt, like how reg does in his vid?

this is why discussions good! i can now appreciate how 2 ropes, with 2 pulleys speeds up the job, through lowering off bigger pieces, with more control

yes top pulley was right at the top and bout 3ft below it was the 2nd pulley. reason was so i didnt have to keep tieing and untieing it for each branch. regs way with pulley right ontop will definetly give you more control and less chance of the butt kicking backtowards climber.

if i was to do the job again i would ideally do it with the pulley right ontop of branch i feel that will give more control and be alot safer for the climber and loading on the tree.

Thats cool Josh, I only interrupted to highlight the type of thing I had in mind when designing it.

TC, persevere with the lever, watch the demo vid again perhaps. You do have to think some, but it'll come good I promise.