Accountancy

ukminch

Something that I've been thinking about for a while. I don't use my accountant properly. I fill in my own VAT returns and tax forms. I use my accountant for advice but I know I miss a lot of tricks of the trade.

I ought to just keep records of mileage (I run vehicles as personal vehicles) and what I've done where along with receipts and let him take it from there. Next time I see him I'm going to ask him about whether he'd do this and how much he'd charge for such a service.

How do other people do stuff and how much (if you don't mind me asking) do you pay?

I reckon with the hourly rate he charges me it cost me about £400 quid for stuff last year. I reckon if he got everything every month/3 months/whatever along with a spreadsheet it may not work out much more than this and would be a lot more efficient??

R

Get on to Sage Instant Accounts or something similar - don't worry about a spread sheet. Your accountants will be able to work on your accounts easier in this format - all they need is a disc copy. They can do so much more with it in this format if you learn how to input the info properly - infact you'll get so much more from the info in this type of format. It does take a bit of patience to set up though. I've been running Sage now for around 15 years and it allows you to analysis you business in much more detail than I was able to with a paper entry system.

I don't think that would be right for me. All my accounts get done last minute and in a rush this is why I want to put a system in place to make this more efficient. I simply wouldn't use the package effectively. What I do is to make a note in the diary of money received, money paid out (wages, fuel) and mileage that could easily be put into a spreadsheet once every so often by me.

The purpose of this is that it could then be easily analysed to see if I'm better off running personal vehicles, means I can't claim VAT on fuel, cost of repairs but get 40p/mile for them. Especially going to be relevant if I get a newer vehicle rather than an older one that doesn't cost a lot. Same with hiring equipment vs buying etc etc.

Then all the other stuff would be done by the accountant - does that make sense??

R

If you are using an accountant but do all your tax and VAT returns yourself, what exactly does he do?

Tells me what to put on them:001_tt2::001_tt2:

Thats the point that I was making I don't use him effectively at all, mainly because I'm always to late to get stuff to him before I'd get fined. I'm quite happy paying someone to do a job their good at. Just wondering what I should be paying as it's not the kind of thing you get 3 quotes for.......

R

Uk minch, I used to be just the same as you, Mr Disorganised, and it was only when our friends in HMRC called me in for a little chat that I woke up and smelled the coffee. Nw I have an accountant, everything is filed religiously to make her life easier, and that means if I need to reference something, I can find it quickly, so in the long run its actually quicker and easier for me not to leave it until the last minute. And I dont end up paying those nasty little fines any more:001_rolleyes:

Uk minch, I used to be just the same as you, Mr Disorganised, and it was only when our friends in HMRC called me in for a little chat that I woke up and smelled the coffee. Nw I have an accountant, everything is filed religiously to make her life easier, and that means if I need to reference something, I can find it quickly, so in the long run its actually quicker and easier for me not to leave it until the last minute. And I dont end up paying those nasty little fines any more:001_rolleyes:

I had that little chat a year or so ago it was a nightmare, receipts missing left right and centre. Was quite uncomfortable. I can honestly say now all receipts are kept in a file, not organised but they are there. Biggest problem was all the fuel receipts for £5-10 quid, all paid for by card so I could prove I'd had it but not got a VAT receipt. The fuel card comes into it's own for that. An invoice once a month thats itemised. Brilliant!!

Still thanks to my accountant I did come out of it better off:thumbup: I have been better since then but I've been looking at different ways of doing things and I've flagged this as a major thing.

I'm going to have a chat with him about doing everything later on in the week. Ideal scenario would be I'd give him an envelope with receipts, one with invoices then a list of mileages and wages and away I go.

R

this problem is very simple to fix because it is YOU that is the problem, not staff, not customers but you. I use my business switch card for nearly everything, i carry a laptop case with me to work, which has my diary, pricing guide sheets, calculator, envelopes and stamps, i put all my recipts and cheques and everything else work related thats a piece of paper in it, i then on friday sort it all out, cheques for the bank, receipts for my bookkeeper etc. If i get cash this gets written into my cash book, and if i use the cash for anything then i write it down before i leave the fuel station. Might take a few minutes but saves a lot of hassle. then when my bank statements come in they are basically my books, if there is anything slightly diferent that month then i write beside it what it is or i just get the teller to reference it in the bank.

My accountant charges me £600 plus vat a year which is an expense so that gets written off, i can call him anytime and if we need a meeting its done by email. simples.

I know it advance what my tax is going to be aswell, so no surprises.

this problem is very simple to fix because it is YOU that is the problem, not staff, not customers but you. I use my business switch card for nearly everything, i carry a laptop case with me to work, which has my diary, pricing guide sheets, calculator, envelopes and stamps, i put all my recipts and cheques and everything else work related thats a piece of paper in it, i then on friday sort it all out, cheques for the bank, receipts for my bookkeeper etc. If i get cash this gets written into my cash book, and if i use the cash for anything then i write it down before i leave the fuel station. Might take a few minutes but saves a lot of hassle. then when my bank statements come in they are basically my books, if there is anything slightly diferent that month then i write beside it what it is or i just get the teller to reference it in the bank.

My accountant charges me £600 plus vat a year which is an expense so that gets written off, i can call him anytime and if we need a meeting its done by email. simples.

I know it advance what my tax is going to be aswell, so no surprises.

Bang on, and I'm going to fix it. £600 or £50 a month sounds reasonable for the invaluable advice you can get. I just need to make sure that a system is put in place and stick to it.

I also use my debit/credit card or cheque book for everything. This was part of the problem when the tax man turned up. I could prove what I'd brought from the statements - this is how i'd done the returns been through the internet banking and added it all up. What I did struggle with was the physical receipts. I've sorted this now, but I need to take it further which is what I'm doing.

R