Help - Over Grown Yew Hedge

Justin Wright

A utility team I was managing hacked off a whole side of a yew tree along an LV cable in a Churchyard.

They must of taken of about 200 years growth.

Village up in arms (Devon village in bloom runner up 1994 or such like).

It looked awful and I was deeply shamed to be involved. :blushing:

Anyway, 11 years os so later, its not looking so sad, almost ready for a recut (now then boys, steady). :thumbup:

anyway (I got distracted with my yew confession).

If you cut of the sunny side first (to encourage regeneration) and cut the shadow side a few years later, wouldn't the shadow side be even more likely to fail (as there is loads of lovely high-quality growth already established soaking up all that lovely sunshine):confused1:

(This is a genuine question, rather than a hole-picking argument)

anyway (I got distracted with my yew confession).

If you cut of the sunny side first (to encourage regeneration) and cut the shadow side a few years later, wouldn't the shadow side be even more likely to fail (as there is loads of lovely high-quality growth already established soaking up all that lovely sunshine):confused1:

(This is a genuine question, rather than a hole-picking argument)

Yes, but no more so than the difference between the two sides in the first place, if that makes sense?

The shadow side is always going to be worse off. As long as you do the shadow side no more than a year after the first side, it will always be behind but then if it managed ok the first time around it will do so again.

Another tips would be to cut back any trees that cause shadow on either side. Dependign on the species, think of what is going to be there the longest?

• 5 years later...