Dry Rot wood wanted

Crazy_Bull

Hi guys,

I'm after a supply of dry rot wood, the kind of stuff that has gone like blocks of balsa wood, it doesn't have to be super dry as i can dry it further but it is ultimatley for burning in a smoker for beekeeping. As it produces a cool smoke perfect for the job and doesn't go out easily once very dry. I would ideally like to collect some from the Huntingdon area or Rutland area but can travel further. Would swap honey for it or a few drinks if you'd prefer.

Cheers

C B

Not much dry rot wood about then.

Which I suppose Is good for all of us, but not so good for you.

My mother kept bees for a bit when I was very young. I was only interested in the smoker (I wasn't interested in the bees or hives at all back then).

I never got stung (but I do remember getting burnt a few times)

If I remember rightly, she used damp old hessian sack (but maybe this produced "hot" smoke, it felt hot to me Ho, Ho).

Maybe for dry-rot, you should try some builders or small scale redevelopers, do they have a forum?

If you do get some dry-rot wood, do you intend to "culture" it onto other wood to give youself a sustainable supply (maybe best not try this in a wooden shed!).

Interested on how you get on.....

bizarrely i've got a pile of it sat here....about 1 1/2m3 but i'm in cornwall....

going to capel manor?

I wasn't planning to but if things change i will give you a shout before hand, Thanks for the offer though.

Re the hessian sacks even they are becoming scarce and often have been treated with various chemicals so not great for burning and puffing on bees.

The best stuff is often found in hedgerows/woods in old tree trucks, which granted are great homes for bugs and other creepy crawlies but i generally only use a couple of bin fulls a year so not a massive ammount of disruption.

Regards

C B

can send pics if you need, it was sat in a church yard standing up until a month back, took it out as a favour for the man upstairs as it was only a matter of time before it came down on one of the congregation..

can send pics if you need, it was sat in a church yard standing up until a month back, took it out as a favour for the man upstairs as it was only a matter of time before it came down on one of the congregation..

Yes mate post a pic if you have the time, i do get out and about all over the contry and if i know there is some down your way if i have a trip down i'll call in.

C B

Hi guys,

I'm after a supply of dry rot wood, the kind of stuff that has gone like blocks of balsa wood, it doesn't have to be super dry as i can dry it further but it is ultimatley for burning in a smoker for beekeeping. As it produces a cool smoke perfect for the job and doesn't go out easily once very dry. I would ideally like to collect some from the Huntingdon area or Rutland area but can travel further. Would swap honey for it or a few drinks if you'd prefer.

Cheers

C B

I’ll swap you some for some bees wax – need some for my didgeridoos! :001_smile: