Cat amongst the Pidgeons Time

David Humphries

Look at the age of the property... then the age of the tree. If like me you come to the conclusion that the tree might have been managed more successfully then you need to accept that the LPA did not respond properly for whatever reason. Years have passed. Arborists have been IMO ignored in the process. Does that mean it isnt too close to the house? There are no guarantees in life mate !

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to the right to amenity to a point,but it is some what unfair to make someone keep and maintain something they don't want for the benefit of others really if something is being "preserved" for all there should be some form of compensations or reward for the owner,IMO, with art works the museum must pay the owner for it,it not free.

Yep. You're right about the fact that is should be reasonable. I guess that my reasonable might not be your reasonable!!! :D

I would say that the compensation of having a great tree is the tree itself!

I would say that the compensation of having a great tree is the tree itself!

I feel that way too,but I don't like telling others how to feel or act,and don't like being told:icon14::wave:

In an ideal world education would get what best for all, but this ain't no ideal world:wave:

My opinion, fwiw, is that this tree has been "maintained" for many years by a gentleman who does not wish to lose it, or suffer damage to his property. Who are we to say that he is wrong to do this? Ok, as far as accepted modern practices go, its not a fine example of arboricultural skills, but it is managed none the less. He must enjoy the tree, or he wouldnt keep on pruning it back cyclically, after all, as we all know, tree work is a labour of love. Yes, he would (maybe) do better to employ a competent arborist to carry out the work, but if he is fit enough to do it, then thats up to him. I was working yesterday with a chap of similar age, and he's still felling some of the biggest timber around, so lets forget about the age thing.

As for employing a "competent" arborist to do the work, well, we've all seen shocking examples carried out by the afore-mentioned!!

I say let the old fella enjoy his tree, that he has "nurtured" for many years, and worry about something else.

My opinion, fwiw, is that this tree has been "maintained" for many years by a gentleman who does not wish to lose it, or suffer damage to his property. Who are we to say that he is wrong to do this? Ok, as far as accepted modern practices go, its not a fine example of arboricultural skills, but it is managed none the less. He must enjoy the tree, or he wouldnt keep on pruning it back cyclically, after all, as we all know, tree work is a labour of love. Yes, he would (maybe) do better to employ a competent arborist to carry out the work, but if he is fit enough to do it, then thats up to him. I was working yesterday with a chap of similar age, and he's still felling some of the biggest timber around, so lets forget about the age thing.

As for employing a "competent" arborist to do the work, well, we've all seen shocking examples carried out by the afore-mentioned!!

I say let the old fella enjoy his tree, that he has "nurtured" for many years, and worry about something else.

:icon14::congrats:

So. I take it we agree that the boundary of your rights is where they conflict with mine. quote.

To say" so what" to the owner who must live under this tree when he is worried about it is churlish in the extreme.... If you can guarantee the tree will not fail and smash the house then all good and well: it would be another example of foolhardy and spurious assurance , and in my view with an all to obvious agenda. If as you suggest, our rights are bound by conflict to designate the line thereof, he can freely fear for his safety whilst the tree towers above his bed....those must surely be his rights by the same token!:puke:

I cant help thinking that the situation should have been avoided in an ideal world. Even by way of the law system we use today. The planning should have accommodated the trees existence and determined a management plan to avoid difficulties such as the one we see....

Like you tho' Tony...i would not want to see another one!

Ok. I have a problem with this concept, (not picking on you directly huck).

You don't have a right to do what you want with your property.

• Think of cars - you can't (legally) drive on the pavement.

• Think of houses - you can't build a block of flats in your yard (without permission)

• Think of pets - you can't (legally) kick you dog in the face because it ate your invoice.

You don't have the right to do what you want to your tree IMO.

Fortunately you have no right to tell the owner what to do , and fortunately he can't punch you out when you tell him he is a tree molester.:)

Shigo was referring to true pollarding in order to maintain the offensive knuckle shape, basically he was just trying to appease his european fanbase. As someone who spent more than half a century studying trees, I suspect the whole idea of pollarding did not sit well with him.

Shigos' failing was that he came from the wrong side of the Atlantic. He had to start from scratch in the "tree management " business. Whereas we Europeans have been managing and manipulating trees for 1000's of years.

Back to the case in point, its been stated that this tree could have been managed more successfully. In what way? the elderly gentleman started managing the tree back n the 70's. Arboriculture as we know it was in its infancy, common practices were to tar wounds, to flush cut, to fill cavities with concrete and brick rubble. They knew no different back then. So, in a way, this tree has been managed reasonably well, oh and its still standing. It hasnt dropped a massive limb onto the house, it wasnt thrown by the gales of 87, or any since, so I say this tree, although not beautiful, has been managed succesfully.