New Tribe harnesses ?

bareroots

Here is a pic that I posted on a different forum and it got me thinking of this thread. As you can (kind of) see from the pic, I like to climb with lots of stuff on my saddle. I always have 2 rigging slings with biners, 2 figure 8s, 2 slings just for life support with biners, a dbl pulley with biner and 20ft of Amsteel for a redirect, Revolver, first aid kit and false crotch (until it gets installed). I also have a 25ft lanyard and room for my chainsaw. This saddle (NT Tengu) can handle all of this and more, and it is built to last.

I upgraded to the pear link instead of the delta and I am glad I did. It is nice, but its still not very roomy for multiple biners. With my climbing style, I only have 2 biners on the attachment point, and usually only 1.

attachment.jpg

I can barely move, but thats because of my large stomach....:001_tongue:

Actually I dont have a problem with stuff slowing me down because of the way that I have everything situated on my saddle. I also have to keep most of this stuff on me because we are a 2 man company and there are many times that we are both up in trees and we dont have someone to send stuff up to us. We even have to do some of our own light rigging alone, while up in the tree. Our methods are not for everyone, but they are safe and they work for us. Its amazing what 2 guys can do if you get creative. We can out produce the company where we used to work where the commonly run 4 man crews.

• 2 weeks later...

They are more for rec. My daughter is convinced she is going to learn to climb. I haven't started her yet, but I got her a basic saddle, I am going to get her a line, helmet, biner. If she takes to it good, then I plan on getting her a New Tribe. I have not used one, but they do look comfortable!

I've hung around in the Progear saddle once and my other climber swears by one. SUPER comfortable compared to my Weaver Cougar. Bigger seat and back panel. The Tengu looks good, only 1 steel piece which is the attachment point, all D's are "soft", and pretty light @ 3 Lbs. My boss is a local product tester and he thinks it's great :thumbup: (but won't put down his Tree Austria 3). I hear they are working in a floating bridge into the Tengu. The Tengu was designed for lightweight and quieter work (I know, i can hear the coments now... "But you're using a CHAINSAW.") but apparently that's why.

New Tribe Tree Saddles

New Tribe gear was developed by a seamstress/rock climber who realised that she could make a better "Saddle". Stronger/sturdier than a rock-climbing harness and safer than a Lineman's belt, but more comfortable than any of the attempts thus far. The comfort is why their saddles are at the top of the recreational climbers must-buy list.

:confused1:I am pretty sure that it's not YET CE certified... and I'll have to check tomorrow to see if it's ANSI or UL certified. (I didn't see anything on safety ratings on their website). If it's ANSI/UL Certified, I'd be comfortable using it in CE or any other territory.:thumbup1:

Hope that helps!

Bryce

The info that I got with my saddle says that it meets or exceeds all ANSI standards for work positioning. I have been petitioning NT for years to come out with a floating bridge saddle. I will buy the first one off the line... I might buy 2 even.

Cary, I do plenty of limb walks and so on as well. You cant move in a similar way as you do with a rope bridge, but you quickly get used to it. I would say that I am a better climber now than I was with my Glide. I am not saying that is because of my saddle, but my saddle is not hindering me as a climber one bit.

Last fall I was pruning a large White Oak and I needed to get out to the tips of a limb that was about 30ft long, and it was nearly horizontal. My TIP was petty low compared to the tip of the limb I had to walk out on. I was able to get all the way out without any issues from my saddle. My rope angle was nearly flat by the time I got out there. Not much fun, but I was able to get it done.

As for New Tribes being pretty much rec saddles, I have to strongly disagree with regards to the Tengu. This think is built to last and its made to use daily. Like I said before, I am a full time arborist and this is my daily climbing saddle. I dont have any other job and I dont use any other saddle right now besides the New Tribe Tengu. I have not used any of the other saddles they make but I have to assume the quality is the same. I have held and looked at the New Tribe Basic and I have to say that this is probably not made to be a professional work saddle, but I would assume the ProGear, VI Special and the Tengu would hold up with any other work saddle out there.

The info that I got with my saddle says that it meets or exceeds all ANSI standards for work positioning. I have been petitioning NT for years to come out with a floating bridge saddle. I will buy the first one off the line... I might buy 2 even.

Cary, I do plenty of limb walks and so on as well. You cant move in a similar way as you do with a rope bridge, but you quickly get used to it. I would say that I am a better climber now than I was with my Glide. I am not saying that is because of my saddle, but my saddle is not hindering me as a climber one bit.

Last fall I was pruning a large White Oak and I needed to get out to the tips of a limb that was about 30ft long, and it was nearly horizontal. My TIP was petty low compared to the tip of the limb I had to walk out on. I was able to get all the way out without any issues from my saddle. My rope angle was nearly flat by the time I got out there. Not much fun, but I was able to get it done.

As for New Tribes being pretty much rec saddles, I have to strongly disagree with regards to the Tengu. This think is built to last and its made to use daily. Like I said before, I am a full time arborist and this is my daily climbing saddle. I dont have any other job and I dont use any other saddle right now besides the New Tribe Tengu. I have not used any of the other saddles they make but I have to assume the quality is the same. I have held and looked at the New Tribe Basic and I have to say that this is probably not made to be a professional work saddle, but I would assume the ProGear, VI Special and the Tengu would hold up with any other work saddle out there.

Yep, Meets or exceeds ANSI standards. The Progear doesn't have adjustable leg straps, so it can be difficult when running around the tree like a monkey, limb walking or inverted cutting. but it's great for long removals that require a lot of hanging out. The Tengu DOES have adjustable leg straps, so may be better for those types of jobs.