M. D. Vaden Back Yard Design Makeover 3/2010

mdvaden

When we moved back to northern Oregon in 2008, we focused on the front yard. The back has been on the backburner, although we removed stairs from the raised deck, and ran a ramp to the upper tier of the back yard so we and the dogs had a straight shot.

Last autumn, I added a detached guest room on peir blocks so it would be up off the Douglas fir tree roots. Thick insulated walls. Our son is using it, and his computer actually heats it. Even keeps the window cracked open. Its got a small heater. Just does not need it.

Anyway, in March we got rid of lawn and the slope. The vegetable garden tucked in the corner will be planted after my arborist friend climber comes over in a couple of weeks and a tree is removed. Its all going to bomb-down in that area to the right not shown completely in the pick. Will be adding one or two more Hinoki cypress and 3 ornamental grasses.

The last photo is the before shot. And that photo was taken about 7 days before the after photos shown.

1_landscape_3_600.jpg.1cc4f9bd83196aba33f15697353b8971.jpg

1_land_pavers_600.jpg.559f78c0a57392a8434591335f83144f.jpg

1_landscape_4_600.jpg.efc701ba2bff94440aef564a193885c3.jpg

B4_AFTR_vaden600.jpg.ff6a19bbd0afbc669d312e32cc3d6d5b.jpg

1_landscape_2_600.jpg.9a32ae40b1963458f62e9643bbc7bd46.jpg

I gotta say fella your work is VERY clean, not my personal choice style wise but work standard is just awsome

Wasn't my first choice either. but my wife wanted something with very few shrubs, and some hardscape.

The front yard is my terriitory.

But I do really like the circular paver block patio kit. Wanted one for years. We both like the pots too.

What style do you like by the way?

Woodland? Expansive lawn? Oriental?

:biggrin:

Edited by mdvaden

Wasn't my first choice either. but my wife wanted something with very few shrubs, and some hardscape.

But I do really like the circular paver block patio kit. Wanted one for years. We both like the pots too.

1/2 Pool 1/2 Lawn no boarders no plants the only adition a BBQ oh and beer fridge but we dont live in an ideal world do weeeee

I agree with Hamadryad, Not really my taste either but looks like a nice job.

Are those blocks for the retaining wall the ones with the little lip on the back so you can just built it up with no mortar? I like what you did with them regarding the shape of the wall.:thumbup1: The building looks a little bit too much like a shed though for my liking.:001_tt2:

I agree with Hamadryad, Not really my taste either but looks like a nice job.

Are those blocks for the retaining wall the ones with the little lip on the back so you can just built it up with no mortar? I like what you did with them regarding the shape of the wall.:thumbup1: The building looks a little bit too much like a shed though for my liking.:001_tt2:

Yes, the blocks have the lips. At least over here, that size is referred to as cottage stone.

On the building, is can have that "shed" look because of the flat roof.

But I wanted to raise it on blocks rather than lay concrete over the tree roots. And I wanted to bypass the building permit hassle too. The 10' height was the limit. All that only left room for a flat roof, with an inch to spare.

Yes, the blocks have the lips. At least over here, that size is referred to as cottage stone.

On the building, is can have that "shed" look because of the flat roof.

But I wanted to raise it on blocks rather than lay concrete over the tree roots. And I wanted to bypass the building permit hassle too. The 10' height was the limit. All that only left room for a flat roof, with an inch to spare.

We have the same blocks here, haven't used them yet but seems to be a nice easy way of getting a small retaining wall up quite quickly. I think the way you have used them looks really good.

We put up quite a lot of garden buildings and garden offices and know where you are coming from with regards to permission. I'm in the New Forest which has recently become a national park and the planners are very strict here. What are the walls of the building made from?

I have a varied taste garden wise, Ive always wanted to buy a house in brookdene avenue as the gardens are 200ft by 25-30ft. It is the ideal garden format, a different garden room/style leading into each new one.

A woodland garden leading to a fern/asian style, leading to a formal box hedged herb garden leading to a scented retreat!:thumbup: