Top Handled saws.

leedeerman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn right, poor Mr Dennison proved that.......Though I fitted a Silky Hiauchi into a handsaw handle wich out performs the O20T on 4"< branches ! Though my experience of Sthil/Husq is .....where did that R&D money go ? The old 20 stilh weren't bettered ( a batch of 20x 200T in 2006 -half of them **** !) Just be careful up there !

I agree with the comments about the Silky, Its so nice to climb without a 0200 strapped to your side. I have, however had some nasty cuts from Silky saws...you tend to become complacent with them because they don’t make a buzzing sound. :icon14:

they have been saying this for years though...dont think its gonna happen...more training and aprenticship might stop the folly,AND STOP SELLING YOUR OLD TOP HANDLE SAWS ON EBAY GUYS!!

:dito:

Saws go for stupid money on ebay to untrained operators. Stopping this 'black market' will not solve the problems but can only help. Everyone here will I think agree that a t is dangerous on the ground. I bet the majority that are sold on ebay are either used on the ground or standing on a ladder.

The same applies to the climbing gear that is sold, i bet the majority of which goes to 'have a go' idiots :drunk:

I have been climbing for years. And I make a point of trying to use two hands on my saw. But we all know that some times it just isn’t possible. Now that’s fine for me to say that because in my head I weigh up the risk, and trust me I have better things to do than sit in the accident room with a big old gash up my arm.

but I think the real problems is with the some of the younger climbers, with lack of experience and adder pressure to perform, using one hand is seen as a faster whey of getting the job done, and not better climbing technique. And that is how accidents happen. Is a shame that there isn’t more time to allow climbers to do a safer job.

The work is dangerous. How can being up a tree with a chainsaw not be?!

I think there is too much pressure for work to be done quickly because people don't recognise the training and skill involved in doing this job. There are too many so called arborists who shirk the rules and make people think anyone can work a saw and climb a tree so why should they pay money for agood job when I can get a quick one done instead.

A top handled saw in well trained and experianced hands should be safe. But start rushing jobs and accidents will happen. If you're going to make the job accident free then we'd have to get rid of climbing and chainsaws, and I can't see that working from a mewp is 100% safe either. IT'S A DANGEROUS JOB!!

:cussing::cussing::cussing:

Rant over

I believe a mewp can be safer ...it all really depends somehow. The way I see it, the mewp is another tool at our disposal and I may chose to deploy one where necessary....It all come round to the ol' chestnut....gettin a ticket doesnt make you an expert...practice and experience will....Training in the use of mewp's is a complicated maze of categories......

Oh...and I rarely if ever use my top handle with one hand...dont like to see it!