DIY cambium saver?

RobRainford

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rob

Im just making up an adjustable friction saver. Its good following this thread.

Nice touch with the throw line & 2nd pulley setup:thumbup1:. You may be able to get away with a small keyring crab in its place for money & weight saving.

What are you using to retrieve it? only because i think a knot will catch on the first pulley.

Hey Rob

Im just making up an adjustable friction saver. Its good following this thread.

Nice touch with the throw line & 2nd pulley setup:thumbup1:. You may be able to get away with a small keyring crab in its place for money & weight saving.

What are you using to retrieve it? only because i think a knot will catch on the first pulley.

This was only a prototype. Using what I had to hand. The crabs will be changes to maillons and the first pulley will be an art one instea of that petzl one. Simply because the art one has room to allow for a spliced eye to drop through, but the second pulley lower down will not allow for this and will make it retrievable. It still needs tweaking in places though. I have some small crabs to tie the zing it onto to make the pulley interchangeable

Here is my cambium saver.

DSC00572.jpg

Mallions are daft they have a big hex section, that wee section of cord will get pulled through the pully (i speak from experience) i covered mine in some clear PVC piping. I've used 2 shakles, one on teh retrieval line and one on the tail of the cambium saver so i can coil it up easily. The shakle on teh end of the cambium saver is purely for storage but not life suppost despite the fact the splice is.

Jamie

Here are some more pics,

DSC00573.jpg

you can just see the PVC cover.

DSC00574.jpg

all but one splice, it's buried inbetween the Tenex-Tec splices on the pully

DSC00575.jpg

Wrapped up on a DMM bent gate aero krab

Jamie

allot of the pulleys pictured in these home made savers are not designed for be used like this. They are plenty strong but the bearings are not designed to be loaded like this for any period of time. Jamie has the right idea using the ART pulley (the cocoon would prob have been eeeeeeven better) Im not knocking makin your own saver, i just see loads of these pulleys with knackered bearings when they've been used like this.

the cocoon would be better, sometimes the art pully can jam in the ring and it requires a good few vigourous flicks to dislodge it.

I think the art pully is bushing-ed as opposed to pulley-ed, correct me if i'm wrong.

The mallions will get in the way, create more slack and i can see create more problems retrieving the CS.

Jamie

yeah i believe they are bushed as apposed to bearings but either way any bushes/ bearings in a pulley to be used for this purpose must be designed to last, most micro pulleys were designed for ocasional hauling/ rescue aplications not every day anchor points, the bearings or bushes just wear strait down if u hang on they day in day out