Jump to content

Stihl 038 avs very high idle


Ollie_M
 Share

Recommended Posts

On choke it’ll take about 10 pulls before it pops, choke off it’ll then start and instantly take off to what sounds like about 10,000 rpm or definitely up there. I’ve cleaned the carb through with carb cleaner, split the rear handle off and checked the pulse line and intake boot neither are split which rules out air leak I think? The only thing I find weird is when I take the fuel line off the carb you don’t get that little squirt of petrol coming out you would normally get. So my only idea is to get a carb rebuild and see if that helps.

 

any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Log in or register to remove this advert

40 minutes ago, Ollie_M said:

On choke it’ll take about 10 pulls before it pops, choke off it’ll then start and instantly take off to what sounds like about 10,000 rpm or definitely up there. I’ve cleaned the carb through with carb cleaner, split the rear handle off and checked the pulse line and intake boot neither are split which rules out air leak I think? The only thing I find weird is when I take the fuel line off the carb you don’t get that little squirt of petrol coming out you would normally get. So my only idea is to get a carb rebuild and see if that helps.

 

any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated 

 

Is the carb H and L at factory settings, idle screw not engaged at all?

 

Is the fuel line split, that could leak air too? Pull it out and try and blow through it and bend it around a bit to look for cracks.

 

It would also be worth doing a pressure test of the crankcase.  I find the best way to do this is remove the muffler, block up the intake and exhaust ports with blocks of wood and inner tube. I then send air through the impulse line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ollie_M said:

Carb is at factory settings. I can suck fuel up through the line no problem, doesnt seem cracked.  Don’t have the kit to do a crankcase pressure test, is there a kit someone would recommend I buy?

 

I have the mityvac pressure and vacuum kit and would recommend it. It also has a good range of bungs and tubes to help get the test set up. The key is you want to block all but one port into the crankcase which you use to introduce pressure and vacuum.  I generally introduce pressure through the impulse line. I put the spark plug in.  I use rubber inner tube to block the intake and exhaust port.  The screws/bolts that attach the muffler or carb can be really helpful.  Also dunking the pressurized saw can help reveal the source of an issue.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mityvac-MV8500-Silverline-Pres-Metal/dp/B0002SQYUA

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well...the theory is that if the throttle valve is fully closed and the saw is still over revving, albeit at no load, then the motor must be getting its air from a leak. So...in layman's terms, take the carb off and make sure the throttle valve plate is closing completely....adjust the idle screw to make sure you get very little gap around the brass plate.

Ensure the spring is holding the throttle shut firmly and then refit the carb, ensuring that the throttle mechanism isn't somehow being held open. Start the unit and if the revs are still flat out then you have a serious air leak in the engine as if the carb is shut tight....the saw shouldn't even run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Well...the theory is that if the throttle valve is fully closed and the saw is still over revving, albeit at no load, then the motor must be getting its air from a leak. So...in layman's terms, take the carb off and make sure the throttle valve plate is closing completely....adjust the idle screw to make sure you get very little gap around the brass plate.

Ensure the spring is holding the throttle shut firmly and then refit the carb, ensuring that the throttle mechanism isn't somehow being held open. Start the unit and if the revs are still flat out then you have a serious air leak in the engine as if the carb is shut tight....the saw shouldn't even run.

idle screw is adjusted so theres very little gap, i forgot to say which might be quite key is that if i choke it once it starts it will idle at a somewhat normal speed - something i find real weird as it obviously restricts air flow significantly but i dont get what it does differently to the throttle valve

Edited by Ollie_M
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ollie_M said:

idle screw is adjusted so theres very little gap, i forgot to say which might be quite key is that if i choke it once it starts it will idle at a somewhat normal speed - something i find real weird as it obviously restricts air flow significantly but i dont get what it does differently to the throttle valve

 

That would make sense if you had a serious air leak somewhere in the crankcase as as spud says.  This leak makes the engine over rev at idle, putting the choke on will cut off the air, compensating somewhat.

 

Block off the saw as described above and pressure test the saw under water. You'll find the leak easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon that putting the choke on is pulling through a lot of fuel which has a similar effect to how you adjust the H screw to keep the revs down at flat out running. The very rich mix will stifle the engine at idle thus keeping the revs down. 

You have a real big air leak so a split impulse line, a crank seal that is seriously worn/degraded, loose cylinder, damaged crank case etc. It will be that big that it should be quite visible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I reckon that putting the choke on is pulling through a lot of fuel which has a similar effect to how you adjust the H screw to keep the revs down at flat out running. The very rich mix will stifle the engine at idle thus keeping the revs down. 

You have a real big air leak so a split impulse line, a crank seal that is seriously worn/degraded, loose cylinder, damaged crank case etc. It will be that big that it should be quite visible.

Impulse line and intake boot checked all ok, cylinder is tight, will give it a good clean and check for physical cracks as I know it’s had hard use. It’s an old saw that sat for a good 10 years so I feel crank seals are a good possibility, for an air leak this bad the seals would be visibly buggered I would’ve thought? Don’t really want to spend out for a mityvac for how often I’ll use it but if I can’t visually find this air leak I may just have to get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ollie_M said:

Impulse line and intake boot checked all ok, cylinder is tight, will give it a good clean and check for physical cracks as I know it’s had hard use. It’s an old saw that sat for a good 10 years so I feel crank seals are a good possibility, for an air leak this bad the seals would be visibly buggered I would’ve thought? Don’t really want to spend out for a mityvac for how often I’ll use it but if I can’t visually find this air leak I may just have to get it.

 

No need necessarily for a mityvac if its a big leak.  Leaks in the crank seals and not always visible. Try a bicycle pump or blowing air from your mouth through a tube into the impulse line with everything else sealed off.  Dunk the saw under water to identify the leak.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  •  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.