rope loops?

chris cnc

does anyone use tied or spliced rope loops as an alternative to webbing slings/loops, for footholds, redirects, lowering etc? ie loops made from prussic cord but used in the same way as a webbing sling? if that makes sense?

just wondering as i have plenty of rope lying around which could be put to this use, assuming there are no major drawbacks!

cheers

cant see any reason why you shouldnt do that....only 2 things to consider as far as i can see.

1. bulkier, cant be daisy chained as nice as a thing sling.

2. slings come ce marked and rated.....hand tying odd pieces of rope, although perfectly safe in most applications will be a bit of an unknown quantity when it comes to max breaking strain etc.

cant think of any other significant issues?

I use them quite often, Mainly for attaching other equipment and I find prussik loops are handy for all sorts of things like keeping doors open/closed, adjusting limb weight when rigging so you can balance the limb etc.

I have some lengths of webbing that I tie a overhand knot in then thread folded-over end inside and then advance the overhand knot to where the internal threading meets. These I use for footholds when on dodgy pollards, controlling awkward limbs when sectioning down and also as tie in points when needing a redirect.

Just washed my ropes today -could of made mud pies with the stuff that came out.:laugh1:

Edited by Treeson

I make my own webbing slings using a tape knot. About 1/4 the price of the ready made loops, and they can be made to what ever lenght you spacifically want. I think that the tape knot reduces the breaking strain by about 50%. But i have yet to break one, and i have used some for some highly inappropriate uses mostly involving tractors and large lumps of wood/stuck vehicles