Timberwolf track idler maintenance

markieg31

Hello, new to the world of tracked machines and have dived in on an aged old 150 ftr. Tracks are starting to make a clicking noise and feels hot around bearing area after tracking about. I was wondering if there is a replaceable bearing in there or do you just have to stump up and buy the whole wheel.

Many thanks Mark

More likely the planetary gears and/or bearings than the motor itself. If its just the idler wheel then a bearing will probably do. If its the gears it's easier to exchange the unit and replace it with a new or rebuilt one, unless you're handy and like the smell of gear oil!

There is a chance that your track is loose and its skipping on the drive sprocket, may just need a few pumps of grease into the track expander. That's where I'd start anyway, cheapest fix and work up from there!

Thanks for the reply Conor, I have yet to jack it up and investigate any further but my assumption is that the idler wheel, that tensions the track, has knackered bearings, I just didn't know if the bearing was actually replaceable.

Will jack it up and have the tracks off over Christmas to get a better picture of what's going on. 

• Like 1