Ganoderma Applanatum or Australe?

CRAIG78

Thanks for your time with this Jay. Do you mind me asking a few questions about your red oak please? How long have the Ganoderma brackets been present on the tree and how many are there? What approximate age is your tree? And what do you intend on doing with it, given the decay you describe? I'm just looking to build as much field info as I can before I approach the new owners. Best of luck all round mate. Craig

I don’t have the inspection notes to hand but I would say the ganoderma has been present for between 3 and 5 years, this is before I became involved. The tree was noted to have deadwood/decline in the crown so was reduced a couple of years ago, since the reduction there hasn’t been a great deal of new growth. There are now four brackets from memory on the tree at different locations and when sounded with a hammer decay fairly extensive across a large area. I will be carrying out a Picus on the tree within the next couple of months to ascertain the amount of sound wood and what works are required. 

Ultimately if you are concerned with the tree and are purchasing the property I would be raising the issue with the solicitors.