Truffle inoculation.

Graham

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a fortune to be had in this!

I believe there was a young lad, a student, on dragons den who believed he had found a viable technique.

I dont know if he has gotten off the ground with it but it does take many years before (7 approx) it starts to produce a viable crop.

But at up to 20k a piece, it is a rich mans game, succeed and youll never look back, and youll never be short of a few bob!

Via another forum I know one of the big players in the truffle tree game. We wanted to inoculate some trees. But on his advice we will be planting trees that are already done & tested as being infected. Inoculation of existing trees is very hit & miss.

Not many truffle get sold for £20k especially ones that grow in the UK.

His online shop (LINKY) has trees at about £18 each but if you are buying lots then they are nearer £8 each & if you are doing an Hectares worth then grants will cover lots of the cost leaving you about £2k or less to pay (for the trees, still need other bits).

Via another forum I know one of the big players in the truffle tree game. We wanted to inoculate some trees. But on his advice we will be planting trees that are already done & tested as being infected. Inoculation of existing trees is very hit & miss.

Not many truffle get sold for £20k especially ones that grow in the UK.

His online shop (LINKY) has trees at about £18 each but if you are buying lots then they are nearer £8 each & if you are doing an Hectares worth then grants will cover lots of the cost leaving you about £2k or less to pay (for the trees, still need other bits).

not many at 20k no but you see what I am getting at value wise.

pre colonised trees sounds like a plan, are you working on a project?

These things have been tried for many years, but i am not aware if any have proved a raging succses as yet?

The truffle woodland idea really appeals to me. I can't afford to do this on my own but I know a guy with the land and money and it appeals to him also.

I've read that one of the most successful plantations in the UK was established on farmland that was probably free of any mycorrhizae due to a history of fungicide application on previous crops.

So would the eradication of competing fungi help? Seems severe to me. Also it seems that spores are spread by foraging animals ingesting the truffle and dropping it out the other end.

I think the market price for UK truffles tops at about £400 per kilo.

The truffle woodland idea really appeals to me. I can't afford to do this on my own but I know a guy with the land and money and it appeals to him also.

I've read that one of the most successful plantations in the UK was established on farmland that was probably free of any mycorrhizae due to a history of fungicide application on previous crops.

So would the eradication of competing fungi help? Seems severe to me. Also it seems that spores are spread by foraging animals ingesting the truffle and dropping it out the other end.

I think the market price for UK truffles tops at about £400 per kilo.

I am anti "mono-culture" so I dont like the idea of sterile plots, though seems in your situation it is just a plus use of a negative outcome. Those turnarounds me likey very much!

@ £400 a kilo It has to be a profitable business, though I suspect carefull consideration and planned use of the trees and space avaliable could increase product possabilities and income. Say using the trees, oak and hazel as pollards to produce logwood volumes to produce other gourmet mushroom variaties. The golden oyster selling @ good values.

are you working on a project?

These things have been tried for many years, but i am not aware if any have proved a raging succses as yet?

Yes just a small scale plot within an existing woodland. Plan is to coppice the trees once they are established as this works well with the truffles.

The problem with successes is that it takes so long to start producing & even longer to produce lots. Its still in its infancy. Plus any one that was doing ok would keep it quiet.

Yes just a small scale plot within an existing woodland. Plan is to coppice the trees once they are established as this works well with the truffles.

The problem with successes is that it takes so long to start producing & even longer to produce lots. Its still in its infancy. Plus any one that was doing ok would keep it quiet.

Yes I can understand why they keep it on the low!

But to be honest, its like all things, a truly succseful person confidant of his/her abilities wouldnt shy from helping others attain results.

People who are truly gifted and passionate about thier subjects generaly want to share with others.

were all different I guess, human nature.

• 1 year later...

Many companies provide trees infected with a variety of truffle species. Unfortunately, soil conditions and the un-predictable UK climate, can restrict the growth of this fungus. Obtaining authenticated trees is therefore of paramount importance.

The burgundy truffle is the fungus found most commonly in the UK, bearing fruit during the weeks of September. Many woods in the South Downs are famous for the copious amounts of this fungus they produce. A careful browse online should point any interested parties in the right direction.

Alternatively, any one with an enthusiasm to grow their own Truffles could always visit Totally Truffles@

Totally Truffles - Totally Truffles

:001_smile: