When does 'waste' become 'produce'

Ian Flatters

Obviously its illegal to carry 'controlled waste' without a liscence (to which i have one) But when does the controlled waste become a sellable produce? As the waste carrier license says you must have a license for disposing of said waste . Reading through the guidence notes i didn't notice any requirement to have one if the produce you create is immediatly sellable? (not for me as i don't own a chipper):thumbdown: So does this mean if you sell your woodchip by dropping it off in the evening after leaving the site or delivering a load of firewood you would be classed as 'Exempt'?????? You could mix the rakings in too if you were sneaky:lol:

But its just something that flew into my head when they sent me through the 'know your waste' booklet.:thumbup:

Its £152 to have one so i would advise getting one.

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/2006/week5/inter__24ecaa86-38f7-411f-a219-7fda5a288f59_6dbf1b95-ecd3-46fd-a64a-b017c91b6555.pdf

Environment Agency - Register or renew as a waste carrier or broker

Tree surgery "waste"(as a recoverable resource it should never be called waste in the first place!) appears to be exempt if its being reused. If you are burning/giving away/selling logs for firewood/woodworking and giving away/selling woodchip for fuel/mulch/composting then its all exempt. Looks like you need to register the exemption. If you dont chip the brash then it may be harder to demonstrate a reuse.

Environment Agency - Paragraph 21 exemption

If you have an exemption then you may not need a waste carriers licence? The carriers licence is for controlled waste, which yours is not after registering the exemption. The link below also seems to suggest that if its waste you have produced yourself then you dont need a carriers licence either!

Environment Agency - Register or renew as a waste carrier or broker

EA Regulatory Position Statement

"Summary

This document explains when the Environment Agency will consider wood to be a waste, what regulatory controls should be followed and our recommendations to industry. The document deals with virgin timbers and non-virgin timbers.

Virgin timber is of the type from forestry works or virgin wood processing such as wood off cuts, shavings or sawdust from sawmills or timber product manufacture dealing in virgin timber or cuttings and brash from tree felling or other forestry management operations.

Environment Agency position

• Virgin timbers are not waste and will not be subject to waste regulatory controls provided that they are certain to be used for the purposes to which virgin wood is commonly put. These uses include use as woodchip in gardens or on pathways, as a raw material for composting, as animal bedding, as fuel in an appliance or as a raw material for the production of wood based products or in paper production. However, if virgin timber is mixed with waste timber, it will all be classed as waste."