Fires???

Ian Flatters

So does that make it ok to quote for jobs using fires and cut out the comapnies using chippers etc. or do you think its just to be used when absloutly necessary?

Burnign the waste from a tree job in someoens garden is not the same as them havign a domestic bonfire for there own waste.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well legally you can't do that. You need to factor in cost of chippers etc becaue that is what proffessional tree companies do. If they give a quote based on doing it properly then so should you. Bending the rules so you get the job over another firm is off hand IMO.

Sorry Rupe, but I disagree with your sentiments here, though I can see your point of view. I have 2 chippers, but there are extraordinary jobs that chipping is just not viable, a fire is. A professional gives the best advice in the ways and means of carrying out the job quoted for. A fire can be the most efficient tool for brash disposal, greener for the environment than chipping, but like all tools it has its place. I have had large brash fires in towns, on cricket pitch boundaries, and caused no nuisance to others. The professional knows the time and place for chipping, or fires.

Can I have a bonfire?

It is not illegal to have a domestic bonfire for the purpose of disposing of your own garden waste. It is a common misconception that local by-laws exist to control bonfires. They do not. There are no local by-laws or regulations affecting your right to have a bonfire. The controls provided by the law are contained in the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The Council can take action against people whose bonfires cause unreasonable interference with neighbours’ use and enjoyment of their gardens or pose a threat to the wider public health.

Oh, and the green waste to be burnt should be burned at its place of origin, not transported elsewhere and burned.

In general, the Council discourages garden bonfires as a means of disposing of garden waste, especially in urban areas, and encourages the use of alternative methods of disposal for garden waste. Copied from Waveney District Council.

I consulted them re: a controlled burn on a site last year, and they said to ensure that there was nothing plastic or treated in the fire, and I think its up to 10tonnes of green waste in any one day. Beware that you must not create a statutory nuisance, or break any local bye-laws. The council I contacted were surprised I even bothered to call them, very disinterested in the whole matter. A local man to me frequently burns off the outer from electric cables, has done for about 15years, had at least one stop order a year, and still does it, he earns more from "recycling" the cable than the fines cost him.

Quality just what i was looking for will print a copy of the Environment Protection Act to have as a copy to show if required.:thumbup::thumbup:

Not that i plan to burn unless its safe and wont pea anyone off.

Edited by Ian Flatters
forgot to add.

No agree with you that in some case it is the best solution. I just meant going for the fire option in order to undercut someone doing it "properly" is a bit off hand IMO.

I'm sure there is a no burnin g of commercial waste ruling? Agreed you can burn domestic waste but council prefe you not ot etc as you said.

I've done it once and had an evironemntal health officer out readign me the riot act. and he said I had to factor in cost of chippers and manpower to get debris to the chippers etc. We got off with a warning that time.

I've bent it since by leavign waste for a customer to burn, then its not my commercial waste.

No agree with you that in some case it is the best solution. I just meant going for the fire option in order to undercut someone doing it "properly" is a bit off hand IMO.

I'm sure there is a no burnin g of commercial waste ruling? Agreed you can burn domestic waste but council prefe you not ot etc as you said.

I've done it once and had an evironemntal health officer out readign me the riot act. and he said I had to factor in cost of chippers and manpower to get debris to the chippers etc. We got off with a warning that time.

I've bent it since by leavign waste for a customer to burn, then its not my commercial waste.

It wasn't meant to be taken in a 'underhand cutting way' i was wondering if it was ok why don't a lot of people do it top reduce/eliminate hire/running costs. Not do it for the sake of cutting out the competition. Im sorry if it sounded that way but i do for most jobs factor in hire costs for a chipper but on smaller jobs was wondering if burning was the way forward as you can prob understand if you do a job that involves mainly hedge cutting and 1 tree to fell, do you hire in a chipper that could run for 20mins all day? Dice the brash up in the back of the truck and take away and burn? Or have a small fire on site and take nothing away? Or stack the brash in the drive and tell the customer you'll be back in a week with a chipper?

Hope this clarifys why i posted the topic.:thumbup:

Didn't mean to accuse you of anything, just making observations. I guess though if you own a chipper then using it for an hour is no big deal, but I see that hiring one for that is pointless, but you must try and compete with those that have chippers on a level playign feild if you can. Customers love a cheaper quote but in the end they benefit more than you do, if you can be 5 quid cheaper than the competition and chip up the debris, thats better than 50 quid cheaper and burning, that 50 gets to stay in the customers pocket which is not where it should be.

There are a lot of chippers around. Surely that wouldn't be the case if fires were completly ok? I'd rather not have bought a chipper! We used to have a lot of fires it seemed the normal way to do things back then.