Rope terminations

finchyo

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people really end up with a double spliced rope and a baggy milky middle and continue to climb on it?

And of that tiny and frankly odd minority, how many people descend all the way to the end of that rope, smacking all that milk up to the crossover of their other splice - and then manage to use the other end in such a way as to leave that milk there before loading it?!?

:D

How many people really end up with a double spliced rope and a baggy milky middle and continue to climb on it?

And of that tiny and frankly odd minority, how many people descend all the way to the end of that rope, smacking all that milk up to the crossover of their other splice - and then manage to use the other end in such a way as to leave that milk there before loading it?!?

my thoughts exactly

My testing into milking was not to establish wheather or not milking towards a splice weakens it as this is allready well documented, unfortunately the extent & primary aim of the test is confidential :blushing:sory:blushing:

So what do you aspire to gain from the extent and primary aim of the aforementioned test, and is there really any point to further tests?:sneaky2:

it may not be visibley baggy, accidents are typically the result of a sequence of events its our job to mitigate them where posible. Most people would not climb on a rope which is spliced both ends & i hope that any who do/may can make an educated decision based on industry best practice & if that wasn't enough for them prehaps they will be able to pick the facts from the hear say & speculation in this thread

until i began working with rope manufacturers i thought the very same, the word kernmantle is German & means core & outer/sheath, and i recently forgot this which lead to great confusion.:blushing: it would be wise for every one in our industry to stop miss-using this word IMO

I don't agree with you here although technically you are correct. Kernmantle is in fact German, the Kern refers to the inner core which is typically constructed of twisted parallel fibres and the mantle the outer a protective sheath as you say.

Although Kernmantle could be used to describe core dependant rope it is not common, in fact I have never been confused as to this point.

I don't believe there is any confusion in the industry (Arb or other), Kernmantle ropes almost always refer to a parallel cored rope either dynamic (climbing) or static (Abseiling or Arb)

Referring to a core dependant braid like Spectraspeed as Kernmantle for example IMO is incorrect so I can see how anyone doing this could be confused.

If it has a braided core with a braided cover then it should be referred to as Double braid or Braid on Braid.

This isn't true as the the needle separates the fibres as it passes through the rope during sewing. Sewn terminations are stronger than a knot and i like the idea of less bulk and no chance of it coming undone (i hope).

On high end fibres like Dyneema, Vectran and PBO the needle does damage the fibres, high strength cores rely on all the fibres sharing the load as these fibres have very low stretch. this is the same as catching a fibre when doing a splice, it will weaken the termination.

Having said that you are correct in saying that either a sewn or spliced termination is better than a knot.

Never say never, i have seen sewn terminations fail under testing. As has been stated previously this is irrelevant as ropes should never reach these forces.

it may not be visibley baggy, accidents are typically the result of a sequence of events its our job to mitigate them where posible.

I'd go so far as to suggest that everything is a result of a sequence of events. There's even a flash term for it - causation. :D

Most people would not climb on a rope which is spliced both ends & i hope that any who do/may can make an educated decision based on industry best practice & if that wasn't enough for them prehaps they will be able to pick the facts from the hear say & speculation in this thread

Hmmm perhaps. I wish you luck with your research but I can't help thinking you're solving a problem that doesn't exist...