Handsaw for apple, plum, pear trees?

FrankE

I have had my eye on a handsaw for my mature apple, plum and pear trees (10-15 y/o) on dwarf stock and a cherry tree.

The plum is brittle or was at the end of the fruiting season when bits fell off. 

I was going to buy the Gomtaro fine 300mm (previously Gomtaro Apple). I don't need a curve as I'm not working above my head much or working below.

It's a bit thick for the loppers but as a percentage of the parent limb OK (<30%).

Amazon said the Gomtaro was discontinued by supplier. I guess it's just not that popular. Waiting to hear back from Silky on future availibility of blades as with my low usage it'll be many years until a replacement is needed. 

I'll get another should I need it for ornamental or amenity specimens at the Botanics, so I'm just looking for an application-specific one just now rather than a general purpose like a Zubat

Is there another recommended Silky fixed blade saw for fruit trees?

On 14/02/2021 at 17:00, Peasgood said:

I grow acres of apples for a living and have had all the saws you mention over the years.

Get the Zubat, far and away the best one for the job.

Fine or coarse? (10 or 7.5 teeth per 30mm respectively)

I don't have hectares of trees.

I went for the coarsest as it is the quickest. It is fine enough to make a nice clean cut.

My reference to acres was to highlight the fact I prune a lot of apples, even if I only had a dozen I would say the Zubat. The fine blades are just too slow and don't really make a better job.

The triangle shaped Bahco bow saws are not bad either tbh but get the finer blade pattern if you go that route (the one with all the teeth the same). Under £20 off eBay and make just as good a cut as a fine tooth Silky.

• Like 2

The samurai ones the same as the Zubats in size were selling  4  20 quid  each on amazon. Seems they all vanished now though.

Some say they aren't as good but having used both i thought they cut just as good as a zubat

Still have them here but more pricey now

WWW.SAMURAISAWS.CO.UK

The comfortable pistol grip handle makes this saw a pleasure to use.  Easy to grip creating a highly efficient cutting action. ...

Tried a 5 quid ones from lidl was  totally useless.

Bacho laplander ok but not that good. Have a folding samurai thats alot better.

Thoose jap  tripod ladders are excellent also.

WWW.BROWNSLADDERS.CO.UK

Click on the individual product in the table for a more detailed description and lead time.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1