Spindleshank fungus question?

Steve Bullman

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that the old knee jerkers are still out there and still dug in to their gun pits!

To remove each and every tree that displays spindle shank, or any other "nasty rotter" fungus is totaly unacceptable and usustainable.

There has to be justification based on a full and certain evaluation, you just cant go around felling every tree with fungi. Trees live with fungi as part and parcel of their lives and even require them to assist in their longevity. We cannot commit every spindle shank infected tree to death on the basis of a few examples of failure, just cos we know they CAN fail from this fungus does not mean they WILL.

It seems to me that the old knee jerkers are still out there and still dug in to their gun pits!

To remove each and every tree that displays spindle shank, or any other "nasty rotter" fungus is totaly unacceptable and usustainable.

There has to be justification based on a full and certain evaluation, you just cant go around felling every tree with fungi. Trees live with fungi as part and parcel of their lives and even require them to assist in their longevity. We cannot commit every spindle shank infected tree to death on the basis of a few examples of failure, just cos we know they CAN fail from this fungus does not mean they WILL.

regardless of location?

The Collybia will be more than likely on the toes of the buttress (attached to the tree it has colonised).

I totally agree with you (hamad) that it is unacceptable to fell every tree that has a nasty rotter fungi present. However thorough investigation is costly and in many instances the money can be better spent. In certain instances it will be a wise decision to fell without further investigation to protect liability and allow the money budgeted to tree works to go further and pay for pro active tree care.

Do you have any thoughts on the aggressiveness of Collybia? Does it kill the tissue or degrade already dead or weakened tissue?

What are the best papers/references with information on Collybia?

How would you further investigate the strategies of Collybia?

Please anyone feel free to comment.

not really answering my question eh hama

your original point wasnt based just on collybia was it

So you think it is just and ethical to fell a tree based on the visual (above ground) indication of the colonisation of a fungi?

Is that not what is termed "knee jerk" reaction?

I am happy to condemn a tree, I am realistic but i wouldnt base my opinion on a few isolated cases and very little academic fact or research, a few isolated cases do not warrant a death nell for all colllybia infections.

In answer to your question, an oak over a BUSY high way needs a good look, and a "proffesional" level of inspection, following a set of proceedures, thats how it is meant to be done, so trees that do not need to be felled can be retained. Which is kind of the point of this thread is it not?

the guy was asking if this "his case" sounded suspect, and it does to me.

So you think it is just and ethical to fell a tree based on the visual (above ground) indication of the colonisation of a fungi?

QUOTE]

depends on what it is mate, merripilus at the the base of a beech loomimg over a play school..yes

Even that sort of case is only just being elucidated, but I know what you mean and yes in that scenario i think it would not be a hard descision!