4week traing

17 hours ago, struie said:

hi samantha,never you mind what the rest of them are saying,i am 64 and still climbing,still learning,every day is a school day in this job,i was 10yrs old the first time out with me dad,when he started teaching me on a chainsaw and believe me it does take its toll,but its a great job, when it all goes right,lol, took down an ash with die back the other day,pissn rain,on a steep bank,over summerhouse,first limb on climbing 5 or 6 foot or so failed,landed on me ars, oh, and with a new groundie,but,what a great feeling when we had it beat,  keep on truckin girl.

64 ? your still young in my eyes and I am extremely humbled and HUGELY impressed by you xxx I know the weather is hard to work in let alone the other extremes you mentioned but I think if your healthy and reasonably fit then most work can still be enjoyable can’t it ? To be honest I deal with sexism on a weekly basis lol ? but ageism is a first for me.

In fact just yesterday I saw a builder broken down in a van on a 40 mile an hour road and he was in a dangerous place, worse still NO ONE helped him so I pulled over and offered to push and he thought I was not able to help but I said let me try and between him holding the steering wheel and pushing and me pushing at the back we moved it about 60 meters to a safe place ? admittedly I gave it everything I had and thanks to breathing in the cold air so deeply I could taste blood ? but I proved him wrong. Now we have swapped numbers so if I break?? down he or his friends will come help me. Thank you for your support Struie xxx you keep swinging your chainsaw and show them boys how it’s done ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Good to have input from some of the more "well seasoned" climbers! Everyone says how it's a young guys game and anyone over 35 won't be able to climb anymore. I feel with new tech (climbing systems, AV systems on saws etc and new techniques (srt) us younger guys should be able to carry on with a lot less physical damage! 

Well said Paddy x no one is swinging an axe if there is a chainsaw available so it does open doors for more people ?? I’m definitely going to be a tree surgeon because it’s perfect for me ? although currently all the gear and no idea ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Samantha48 said:

I know the weather is hard to work in

I was up on Dartmoor Tuesday, big open area with almost no shelter, winds gusting 40-50+ and I could watch the rain go horizontally across a field infront of me. I was taking a couple of branches off an oak as the landowner was worried about it being heavily leaning and across the road. First day this year I actually got cold! I think the global warming is working on our side, not just with more work coming in but nicer weather to do it in. My hands started to slow right down and hurt when I touched them, I ended up panic buying 5 more pairs gloves on the way home. I can now highly recommend pfanner stretchflex Ice gloves now though! ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I was up on Dartmoor Tuesday, big open area with almost no shelter, winds gusting 40-50+ and I could watch the rain go horizontally across a field infront of me. I was taking a couple of branches off an oak as the landowner was worried about it being heavily leaning and across the road. First day this year I actually got cold! I think the global warming is working on our side, not just with more work coming in but nicer weather to do it in. My hands started to slow right down and hurt when I touched them, I ended up panic buying 5 more pairs gloves on the way home. I can now highly recommend pfanner stretchflex Ice gloves now though! ?

I will definitely be purchasing those gloves then Paddy ? you must be still be frozen to death ? that sounds like one of the bad days ! I hope you were paid handsomely for working in that wind strength xx I have never been to Dartmoor but I imagine it’s absolutely stunning ?

1 hour ago, Samantha48 said:

I will definitely be purchasing those gloves then Paddy ? you must be still be frozen to death ? that sounds like one of the bad days ! I hope you were paid handsomely for working in that wind strength xx I have never been to Dartmoor but I imagine it’s absolutely stunning ?

Nah, trick is to leave warm clothes in the truck so you're warm for the trip back instead of suffering the whole way. It wasn't bad at all really, enjoyed every minute. Even stopped at lunch and made a bacon and egg bap on the stove to cheer me up ? If you go to Hi-Line for training it's definitely worth a day trip and some sight seeing whilst you're in the area! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Nah, trick is to leave warm clothes in the truck so you're warm for the trip back instead of suffering the whole way. It wasn't bad at all really, enjoyed every minute. Even stopped at lunch and made a bacon and egg bap on the stove to cheer me up ? If you go to Hi-Line for training it's definitely worth a day trip and some sight seeing whilst you're in the area! 

You lost me at BACON ????? lol ? 

• Like 1

Did a 4 week stint with TKF in Holmfirth. Excellent training that went beyond the NPTC requirement for the group of motivated soon to be ex squaddies, still only a base to build experience on and have been really lucky to work with some outstanding arbs since. If you are motivated, listen and pull your weight the folk you work with will happily mentor your development. Still 57, just, and loving every day. Even on the bad days you're not going back to a hole in the ground with 2 feet of water in it or a drainage ditch under a blackthorn hedge.

• Like 5

On 21/11/2020 at 22:03, JAG63 said:

Did a 4 week stint with TKF in Holmfirth. Excellent training that went beyond the NPTC requirement for the group of motivated soon to be ex squaddies, still only a base to build experience on and have been really lucky to work with some outstanding arbs since. If you are motivated, listen and pull your weight the folk you work with will happily mentor your development. Still 57, just, and loving every day. Even on the bad days you're not going back to a hole in the ground with 2 feet of water in it or a drainage ditch under a blackthorn hedge.

I have visited Holmfirth and I remember how breathtaking the scenery was, a beautiful place to train I would imagine ?