Reading Borough tree 4 the chop!

Bundle 2

Now , I have often thought, with regard to the reporting in HortWeek, that it was left wanting in substance and context. I would consider the article with a pinch of salt frankly but this begs the question...

I wonder who was responsible for the survey which is said to consider "many of the street trees" as in need of removal..... on safety grounds"?

I mean, are they an arboreal surveyor? What system have they used?

It stinks of a knee-jerk reaction and over managed safety thresholds that reflects badly on the industry....

HortWeek is useless!!:001_tt2:

Trees may need to be removed in Reading, according to draft tree strategy | Arboriculture News | Horticulture Week

reading has its good and bad parts like any town, though tbh i wouldnt want to live there!

problem with cutting down and replanting is the town is something like 50% council/social housing and from great experience these people has a extreme dislike of anything green!!! Anything planted will get ripped up/ or cut down.

without fail 99.9 % of all social/council jobs i do some one will come out and say it should be down to the ground but i always as why and the best they ever come up with is it drops leave. to which i reply they creat oxygen, the stuff we need to live. They then wonder off after that.

But hey i am just a stupid tax payer what would i know :)

But hey i am just a stupid tax payer what would i know :)

What can you tell us about the trees in Reading mate...? What age are they, species? How much cover is there? Is alot of it old stock?

It has been estimated that urban tree lifespans are @30 yrs...It would make no sense to remove established trees unless they were really a problem.....The HW article is vague and generalised and some local knowledge might help to clarify whether it was, as I suspect, a throwaway comment...

What's a draft survey anyway?:001_tongue:

(Or is there a typo and they mean DAFT....:lol:)

What's a draft survey anyway?:001_tongue:

(Or is there a typo and they mean DAFT....:lol:)

Draft tree strategy!

Most strategies will propose the aim of undertaking an assessment and survey of the existing stock and proposing future management options. Sounds to me like this is the first time its being done - proactive & best practice right? The removals are estimated at this stage, because they haven't done the survey - becuase the committee hasn't agreed the strategy document yet!

Damned if they do and damned if they don't IMO.

Quite. If your the relevant manager at Reading Council who's probably read all the guidance from the DCLG like Trees In Towns 2 and the England Strategy for Trees, Woodlands and Forests emphasising the benefits of writing a tree strategy you might well think "why did I bother" when the media and commentators slate you for your efforts.

No - management: "Aren't the council useless..."

Reactive management: "They're just fire fighting, no organisation..."

Proactive managament & Tree Strategy: "They're gonna fell loads of trees... possibly"

No wonder LPAs don't bother - one slatings the same as another so you might as well take the easy one.